Carack Ch9 p2

Gerent ran back in to report what he had seen to Sancret and Meendhu and spent the time it took for the wagons with Sancret and Meendhu in the tower room watching the wagon’s slow progress across the plain to reach the foot of Widnbrea. By the time the wagons had come up the road to the entrance of the castle Gerent, Meendhu and Sancret were in the courtyard to meet them. The wagons halted outside the castle entrance and N’zar rode in leading a deputation of five people, two men and three women. They looked tired and weary, were covered in dust and their clothes were torn and dirty as though they had seen hard wear. N’zar slid from the pony as Gerent took the reigns from him and introduced the travellers to Sancret.

‘Mage,’ he bowed in a very ceremonious manner, ‘These travellers are from the Eastern Evells where High King Pirran is warring with them and, according to their reports, laying waste to the land.’ Sancret nodded and N’zar continued, ‘They have come here, to you and your  land, to ask sanctuary of you and the protection of your magic.’ Sancret started in surprise but said nothing, ‘all they had is gone, they ask only rest and peace for a while. Mage, this is their spokesman, a peasant woman called Shara.’ N’zar waved her forward and a tall woman in a long dark green travelling cloak and dress stepped forward and lowered her head in respect to Sancret.

‘We have travelled for many days from our home land in the hope of finding this place my lord,’ said the woman in a humble voice. ‘The High King has taken all we had and destroyed our master’s house, we are no longer his, if you will allow us to stay upon your valley we will work for you and would like to build our homes here until we may return to our own land, if ever. We have heard of your magic and the wonder of the castle from the mist,’ she gazed around at the castle walls, ‘and hope you would find it in your heart to accept us, poor as we are.’ She stood head down waiting for Sancret’s reply. Gerent could see that he did not know quite what to say, he looked at N’zar and Meendhu as if for guidance. Meendhu nodded encouragement and Sancret said;

‘You are welcome to my home, I cannot offer you much but for somewhere to stay you are welcome to take any place on my grounds that you wish, my Br – workers will advise you on the best sites to draw up your wagons. As for the longer term issues you mention, these we will have to discuss. For tonight I offer you a feast in the castle so that we may get to know one another better.’ The woman sank to her knees and gripped the hem of Sancret’s grey robe.

‘Warlock you are kind and generous.’ She sobbed  with relief and Sancret bent to raise her from her kneeling position but as he took hold of her elbow to help her up he let go again as if hit with an electric shock and stepped back. 

‘N’zar raise the lady and hold her.’ He ordered sternly and puzzled N’zar did so, all looked at Sancret in surprise, including the lady.

‘I have done something wrong Lord?’ she asked penitently.

‘Lied!’ said Sancret recovering himself, ‘You are not a peasant at all, you have hid the truth from my Captain and lied to me in order to achieve your own ends.’ The woman dropped her head, ‘You are not called Shara, but the Lady Gytha, ruler of Hendon in the Eastern Evells, are you not?’

N’zar gripped the woman’s arm tighter and she nodded.

‘What you see is all that is left of my household and my guard. I apologise Lord Warlock for trying to deceive you, I thought you would not accept us if I told you who I was. I was unsure if you would be willing to shelter us from King Pirran who has destroyed us. I meant no harm, I just wanted to gain a sanctuary for us all, we are weary and frightened.’

‘If you are to reside here it even for a short while would be better for all of you to tell what is and not what you think you would like to have us believe. Release her N’zar. Know this Lady Gytha in this land I can see all there is, even that which you would hide. Your attempt at deceiving me is not an auspicious start and I am not one you should treat with so. It will be beter if your peole remain outside these walls. I am prepared to allow you to stay if you wish to, but d not try to deceive me again.’ Sancret said in a stern and powerful tone so that even Gerent felt afraid and in awe of him.

The lady Gytha bowed her head once more and thanked Sancret for his tolerance. Sancret asked N’zar and Wampa to show the travellers where they could put their wagons and dismissed the visitors with a repeat of his invitation to a feast that evening. Once they had gone Sancret turned to Meendhu,

‘Didn’t overdo it did I?’

‘No, I think ya got it about right, they’ll think ya can see everything they do now, even go to the toilet!’ Meendhu laughed.

‘Yes, thank you Meendhu, I get the picture!’ laughed Sancret, ‘Come, I must meet M’zera now.’

 M’zera was being shown around the castle by Cam and so they split up to find them. Gerent found them together in the long gallery looking at the mural, but he felt M’zera was more interested to see the sawol room at the end of the gallery.

‘It’s empty and not very interesting,’ Gerent heard Cam say as he entered the gallery.

‘Oh tht’s just  how you see it dearest,’ M’zera’s voice was honey sweet, ‘Do let me see,’ and she ran towards the door.

‘Sancret wants you back in the main hall.’ Gerent almost shouted and M’Zera came to a halt, both turned to face him. ‘He wants to meet you M’zera.’

‘And I want to meet him.’ She said and she took Cams’ arm and swept past Gerent with her nose in the air.