Chapter 9 p4

Once in there Gerent told how he had waited for Sancret that morning, assuming that he would be studying, Sancret replied:

‘M’zera and I arranged the ride last night at the feast, I find her very pleasant company. Is that so surprising. I may do as I wish in my own castle I suppose?   Why did N’zar whisk her off so when we got back do you think?’

‘I don’t know,’ said Gerent, ‘but I have to speak to you about her, there’s something wrong about her, I can't quite put my finger on it, but there’s definitely something wrong.’

‘Jealous?’

‘Pardon?’ said Gerent not sure he had heard right.

‘Jealous, just as Cam obviously is. Jealous that M’zera seems to like my company more than yours.’ Sancret replied in an angry manner. Gerent looked at him, he couldn’t believe this was Sancret speaking.

‘No, I am not jealous of you, the girl has only been here one day, I cannot see that any thing can have happened-’

‘Oh, but it has,’ said Sancret, ‘I have fallen in love, deeply, irrevocably and definitely in love with M’zera.’

‘What! How, I mean when? You only met her yesterday!’ Gerent was incredulous.

‘It seems as if I have known her forever,’ Sancret dreamily replied and Gerent had the feeling that this was not good, not good at all, he could detect the sickly sweet smellof honeysuckle lingering around Sancret.

‘Have you touched her?’ he asked,

‘Of course not! What do you take me for?’

‘No, I mean have you detected whether or not she is telling the truth like you did with Lady Gytha?’ urged Gerent.

‘The truth? The truth about what? The girl is N’zar’s sister and you doubt her ability to tell the truth, how much have you spoken with her?’

‘Well, not a lot, only a few words really, but I-’

‘There you are then! How can you judge someone on a few words, Gerent? I would never have thought you could be so prejudiced on such a short acquaintance.’ Sancret admonished him.

‘I’m sorry, but I have watched her and I feel that she isn’t what you believe she is, she –’ Sancret suddenly interrupted him and Gerent could tell that he was getting angry.

‘You have been watching her! It seems half the castle has been watching her! Brunstan disapproved of my going for a ride, now you want me to see if she is telling the truth. You were there when she was brought to the castle, N’zar was there, he should know his own sister shouldn’t he? You doubt my judgement?’

‘But have you touched her?’ Gerent persisted.

‘I have –’ Sancret paused for thought, ‘I have-, no, I have not so much as held her hand. But it is impossible that she could deceive anyone, she is so sweet, charming and endearingly shy.’

‘So is Morvah!’ shouted Gerent and both of them stood staring at each other.

‘I think you have said quite enough,’ said Sancret in a cold tone, ‘I think you had better leave, I don’t know how you could compare the two together. You have disappointed me Gerent. I would not have thought this behaviour of you. When I can forgive you your mistake in the sawol room this is somewhat hard of you.’

Gerent swallowed the lump, which had just risen in his throat, he felt crushed by those words from Sancret, it was as if the mage had not forgiven him as he had said. But Gerent went on, he knew he had to try to prevent something, he didn’t know what, but something bad from happening.