Carack Ch5 p6

Meendhu ran or walked alongside Gerent as and when the undergrowth or trees permitted. He explained that it would take them a week of steady travelling to reach Sancret. Gerent was somewhat dismayed at this news as the experiences he had had of travelling in this strange land had not been pleasant. But the weather stayed fine for them and Meendhu was expert at catching rabbits from the hillsides and fish from the many streams they crossed, so food was plentiful. Meendhu could also cook very well and the pony carried a cooking pot and a supply of flour.  Each morning Meendhu mixed batter and cooked delicious griddle cakes over the fire. Some they ate eat warm for breakfast and the rest was stored for a snack as they travelled. Each night Gerent slept, wrapped in blankets, by the side of a fire. The week seemed to pass as if it were a holiday. He got to know the bear well and enjoyed his company. Gerent thought Meendhu had a wonderful sense of fun that bordered on the cheesy and that he was much better company than N’zar had been. Meendhu did not tell him much about the warlock they were going to meet saying that each must tell his own story and that it was Sancret’s choice about what he would tell and what he would keep. After two days they left the woods behind and travelled over rolling hilly terrain. They passed by several farms and avoided the quaint looking villages on their way, as Meendhu was anxious that no one would be aware of their passing.

Gerent almost felt regret that as they came to the crest that overlooked an open grassy hill where Meendhu stopped and pointed out to him a grey castle in the distance. It had one very tall tower and strong looking grey stonewalls. It was perched on the top of a sheer cliff face of white rock that formed one side of a high hill so that it overlooked the level grassy valley plain in front of it. The only other sign of habitation that Gerent could see was a cluster of houses, barely discernable in the distance.

‘That is Widnbrea, of the one tower, it’s where Sancret and I live, beyond is the village of Cluston, which lies just outside the castle lands,’ Meendhu said and set off once more with eagerness. It was as though he was glad to have reached his home and his friend at last. Gerent followed feeling the exact opposite to the bear. He had a growing feeling of nervousness at meeting this warlock.