Carack Ch6 p4

‘That’s Tucker’s farm! I recognise that wooden barn there behind them,’ said Meendhu pointing a claw at the image. ‘They’re two days away. They must be heading in this direction, though I doubt any of them knows exactly where we are. I could be with them in the morning if I left now San, bring them straight here. Be back in a day if I take three of the ponies.’ Meendhu volunteered. Sancret looked up at him.

‘Do you mind?’ He asked and Meendhu shook his great head. ‘Thank you my friend, take Grayling, Grar and Misty, oh, and better take a brownie, in case N’zar won’t countenance speaking to you. I’ll ask Umberstan, he can talk to anyone.’ He waved his hand over the well; the water surface quivered and the image disappeared.

‘Umberstan!’ Sancret called out loud and to Gerent’s amazement a small man about thirty centimetres high appeared right in front of Sancret. He presented a comical figure as he was dressed in a brown nightcap, with bobble, and brown nightgown. Gerent stifled a laugh as the man bowed low with reverence to Sancret and his bobble swung off his shoulder and hit the floor.

‘Forgive my disturbing your rest Umberstan, but I need your help if you would be so kind, this is no household chore I would have you do,’ Sancret said, in a respectful voice, when the little man had straightened up.

Umberstan stiffened to attention and listened as Sancret explained the mission to him, he nodded as if understanding and then vanished without a word. Before Gerent could say anything Umberstan reappeared again dressed this time in a brown shorts, brown shirt, walking boots and had a small brown backpack on. Sancret smiled and made a slight bow to the little figure.

‘Many thanks friend, I know this journey is no small matter for you. Meendhu will take care of you. Now if you are ready please tell Grayling, Grar and Misty we require them also.’ The little man vanished again.

‘Come, let us meet them in the courtyard, the sooner you are off, Meendhu, the better,’ Sancret said.

In the courtyard they found Umberstan and the three ponies, all saddled, waiting for them. Gerent and Sancret watched the party set out across through the entrance arch and then they climbed up the steps onto the castle wall to stand between the banners. From there they watched them cross over the valley toward the west. When the five had grown too small to see with clarity any more Sancret turned to Gerent.

‘Let me show you your room and then we shall have supper.’

The two left the castle walls and went back inside.

Over supper, which was served in the room Gerent had felt so comfortable in earlier, Gerent asked Sancret about Meendhu, the castle and Sancret himself. He heard that Sancret had been learning the art of magic from a Warlock called Ignatius Zoy, who had been the king’s counsellor and Lord of Netherzoyland, as all the warlock’s ancestors had been. While at the King’s court Ignatius had been lured into a trap by Madron and killed, Sancret had never been able to find out exactly what had happened. With Madron having gained some influence over the king Netherzoyland had been given to Madron by the king. Sancret had been warned a few days before of the arrival of the new Lord and had managed to escape the town with a cart packed full of Ignatius’ belongings. Madron had not been aware of his existence and the two had never met, although in his well Sancret had since seen Madron several times. It was while wandering, searching for somewhere to go, that he had met the bear master and given Meendhu human intellect. Meendhu had then been reviled by the local people and Sancret had offered to restore Meendhu to being just a bear. Meendhu had refused this and asked to travel with Sancret and they had grown into close friends.

Each night Sancret said that when they camped he had read Ignatius’ books to continue to learn the Warlocks’ art. This was when he had found references to an ancient castle with mystical properties that would only let a true Warlock become its master. It turned out that the castle was well known in local folklore and by asking people he had found his way to Widnbrea. When Sancret and Meendhu had arrived at the castle entrance the drawbridge had been lowered and all the Brownies who cared for the castle had been waiting for him in the courtyard. Sancret had been told that the castle would be his and all the Brownies would declare themselves his servants if he never went outside the castle grounds again. Since then, for about two years Sancret had lived comfortable and safe in the castle continuing his studies of magic arts. He had found many more books and manuscripts in the castle and had learnt more than Ignatius ever known or could teach him, but, he told Gerent, much of his learning was unproven and untested. Sancret had discovered how to use the well and had been able to find out what was happening in the outside world through watching where he wanted.