Carack ch15 p3

Gerent was called upon first, to tell what he had heard of Madron’s battle plans while in Chun and this was discussed. Eventually everyone agreed there was nothing that they could do to help or prevent the south thralls from being attacked and so Sancret asked Gerent to reveal what else he had heard at the castle. Gerent told them about the Buccas being in league with Madron, though he had no idea what these creatures were, and about the plans to flood Netherzoyland for the Buccas. This caused a great deal of talk and discussion; those present seemed to think this was a very bad situation. Sancret told Gerent to continue and tell them everything else that he had heard, so Gerent told them of hearing about the attack on Widnbrea, which they had survived and then about the king. This was a shock for the Lords and Lady at the table and the talk began to get heated with discussions on succession and how a new king would be decided upon.

Sancret brought the discussion to a halt when two of the Lords, Farinmail and Wulfgar, rose to fight. They then turned on him and demanded by what authority he could tell them what to do, there was no king, no one had a better claim than themselves.

‘Dost thou all forget Madron, thou fools!’ Shouted N’zar, ‘ Canst thee not see if we cannot rid ourselves of him there wilt be no kingdom for thee to fight over, all of us, including thee, shall be under his power, do what thou couldst, thy will wouldst not be thine own. Let us seek a way to destroy him before we decide who is to rule in place of the high king!’ The two men sat down sobered by the knight’s words. Sancret sent a significant look at Euny and Gerent saw Euny nod in reply.

‘It is time. No one has any cause to fight, there is an heir to the throne, the High king has a successor.’ Said Sancret and the whole table went into uproar, it appeared to Gerent that only Sancret, Euny and perhaps Meendhu had known about this heir as everyone else was demanding to know who and where and when.

‘The High King Pirran had no offspring.’ Said Lady Gytha firmly, ‘His wife, my sister Gwyn, died eight years ago, childless, the king did not marry again. How come you to say there is an heir?’

‘Forgive me my lady for contradicting you, but were you present at your sister’s passing?’ asked Sancret and Lady Gytha shook her head.

‘No, I knew you were not, but you see my sister was, she was a hand maiden to Gwyn while she was at my grandfather’s estate in Wimpleton. The queen had been sent there because she was with child, the king thought his wife and baby would be in danger at Chun. All were told that she had taken ill and needed the sea air, but that was not so, a girl was born, the king’s daughter, but despite all that could be done my sister was unable to save the queen. The king then bade my teacher Ignatious Zoy to keep the child and raise her as his own, but Madron killed him and put a charm on the king and so I had the nurse keep the child and  she lives still.’

There was silence around the table as this news was digested; Gerent could almost have laughed at the amazed faces he saw before him. The Lady Gytha broke the silence.

‘Why did not your sister keep the child, or your grandfather? Where is your sister to verify this story? Warlock this could be a pack of lies.’she said imperiously. Sancret’s face grew as black as thunder at this and Euny silently rose, but Sancret waved Euny to sit and the knight reluctantly did so.

‘I do not lie, I have never lied, I have never betrayed anyone madam, unlike some.’ Replied Sancret in a hard voice and Lady Gytha seemed to take some personal reference from these words and sank back in her seat with an ashamed look. ‘And if I requested it of her, my sister would stand in front of you to verify what I say, but I fear that would not allay your mistrust. On my honour the child exists, Meendhu when last did you have sight of her?’

‘It was two months aga when the rains came in the Northern Evells, I was following them as they moved to avoid the floods, but bridges were washed away and I could not follow after them. I have had word since that she is safe and sound.’