Chapter 2

I rolled over, groaning as an aching in my lower back forced me to open my eyes. I immediately squinted from the harshness of the sun and rolled over again, pressing my face into my pillow.

"Morning."

I froze when a voice I didn't recognize spoke. I had to be dreaming. I ignored the voice, hoping and praying that it was just my crazy imagination.

"I know you're up, so there's no use in pretending you're still sleeping."

This wasn't a dream. I shot up, squinting, and looking around frantically for the source of the voice. It wasn't my roommate; his voice wasn't that deep. After a quick search, my eyes landed on a man I'd never seen before in my life. I scrambled up, my heart beating quickly as I tried to analyze the situation. There was a shirtless stranger in my room, and I don't remember how he got here.

"Who are you, and how did you get in here?" I asked slowly, swinging my legs to the edge of my bed. I froze when I glanced down at the sheets. These weren't my sheets.

"This is my house, darling. You don't remember last night? We had a wonderful time together." A devilish grin spread on his face and my mouth parted at his words. I tried to recall last night, but only bits and pieces were coming back. I took in his demeanor, his massive frame, the grin on his face, the way his large arms were crossed over his taut bare chest, the sweatpants hanging off his hips. I would've definitely remembered having fun with someone like him. Definitely. I slowly slid off the bed, the sheets sliding off my body. Just as I expected, my dress was no longer on my body, I was only in my undergarments.

"I don't remember last night. Did we..." I trailed off, pointing a finger at him and then back to me. The slight ache in my back told me one story that was highly probable, but I still wanted to hear it from him. He dropped his arms and walked toward me slowly, eyes never wavering from my face. Nerves swirled in my stomach and I held my breath when he paused directly in front of me, so close I could feel his body heat radiating from him, surrounding me.

"Did we fuck? Is that what you want to know?" he asked, tilting his head and I scoffed at his bluntness.

"Yes, it is. So, did we?"

"Of course not. I would never take advantage of a woman so inebriated." He answered, making me let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. If I did have sex with someone like him, I would want to remember that. I don't know if it was the lack of a partner in my life now or maybe from how close he was standing, but I said the next that came to mind before I could stop myself.

"What if I was sober?"

His brows raised in mild surprise before he moved forward, raising his hand. A lone finger glided down my cheek before resting under my chin. My breath hitched when he leaned in, lips so close to mine.

"Only if you asked nicely." His breath fanned my face and my lips parted at his words, a familiar feeling of heat pooling in my gut. Before anything could happen, he dropped his hand and took a step back, a smirk on his face. I shook my head to get out of the trance I was in and frowned. What was wrong with me?

"Um, okay. Well, thank you for not letting me pass out at the bar. I'll be going now." I nodded at him as I grabbed my discarded dress, shoving it over my head. I regretted wearing such a skimpy piece of clothing. It wasn't my style at all. Neither was crashing in the bed of a total stranger. Carter really did a number on me. I grabbed my shoes and hurried out the room and down the stairs, quickly finding the exit.