Chapter 13

I went with heels. Red heels at that because it complimented the black outfit. After getting ready, I added Colton's number in my phone and sent him a text letting him know it was me and whether or not I should bring something. He texted back that I was enough and that he was looking forward to seeing me. Those words did something to me because I was sucking in a breath, shaking my head. It reminded me of the early days of my relationship with Carter, when it was good, and we couldn't wait to see each other. Ugh. Crazy how time could change so much. Davis wished me good luck as I left and I thanked him, hoping I didn't need it. Even though everything started at 9 p.m., I left an hour and a half early so that I could find my way to his place and have enough time to correct my directions if I got lost.

Colton lived thirty minutes away from me, but it took me almost an hour to get there because of traffic. Once I reached his gated neighborhood, I actually had to check in with someone at the gate. They asked for my name and who I was visiting, and I told them everything. Apparently, my name was on a list and I was waved through. That was, different. As I drove through the neighborhood, I whistled, taking in the grand mansions I passed by. I wasn't going to lie, I was a bit intimidated by the luxury. I turned a corner and at the end of the road, away from other houses, was the biggest one I'd seen, and it was sitting behind large gates. It was also my destination. I drove up to the gate and paused when it didn't open right away. I glanced up at the camera at the top of the gate and there was a buzzing sound before the gates slowly opened, revealing a long driveway that led to the three-story mansion sitting on massive land. Palm trees decorated the sides and lights of all colors lit up the driveway, leading me to the spaces in front of three garages. Colton was loaded. This house was even bigger than Roman's house, from what I remembered. I parked in front of one of the garages, though I wasn't even sure if that was a good spot to park. Would I be in anyone's way? I would just move it if needed.

I exited my car and shivered when the wind blew, making goosebumps pepper my skin. There were no other cars in the driveway, though I wasn't surprised because I was like thirty minutes early. I took my time walking to the front door and when I reached it, I rang the doorbell and waited. I took in a deep breath and exhaled, trying to calm my nerves. My stomach was flipping, and I squeezed my hands together, looking around. Was my outfit decent enough? How many people would be here? How should I introduce myself? Was I expected to stay the entire time? What did he even have planned? So many questions went through my head, making my nerves worse, and I was staring at the ground when the door opened. I looked up quickly to see Colton leaning against the doorframe with a grin on his face, one arm holding the door open. His blonde hair was wild, yet tame at the same time, a few locks falling over his brows. He was wearing a white polo that hugged his taut chest and defined arms, showing that he definitely didn't miss a day at the gym. He paired the shirt with khakis and white shoes. He looked good.

"I see you don't understand the definition of casual." He commented, making me pass a hand over my outfit, my face heating up. I knew it was a bad choice. Colton's grin faltered for a second as he took my expression and he straightened up, reaching a hand out toward me. "Hey, that doesn't mean you don't look good. Don't get self-conscious on me now." He joked, making a small smile appear on my face.

"Shut up," I smacked his hand away as I stepped into the house. He chuckled, closing the door behind me. I stopped abruptly, taking in the wide expanse of the foyer. His house was beautiful. Chandeliers hung from the high ceilings, glittering elegantly. There were spiral staircases to the left and right of me, each step alternating colors, black and white. The banister was all black with flakes of glitter, from what I could tell. I was standing on a marble floor, black and white colors swirled in different patterns, almost like a painting. It was beautiful.