Chapter 1

It was a normal night in the house that the couple had lived in for a whole two months. Kian had finished up a hectic day at the hospital and was in the living room, scrolling for a show to watch with his younger fiancé Haley, who was getting some popcorn made in the kitchen. Her phone rang, and she answered it. The conversation was hurried and agitated sounding. When she got into the living room, she was crying.

"The gift shop closed! The hospital wants to keep everyone safe because of the COVID outbreak. They're going to pay me for the next month, but they don't think they'll bring me back if we reopen. They'll mail me back the stuff I made."

"Oh, Haley! You loved that job." He said, hugging her.

"I just hope you don't get stuck at the hospital. I'd go crazy not having you come home."

"You'd miss me, huh?" He teased, trying to get her to smile. Haley wiped her eyes and snuggled against Kian's chest.

"I never thought being a heart surgeon would be a dangerous job, but patients need help, even during a pandemic."

The final word hung there in the air. Everything had felt normal. Kian and Haley had just got the house. Haley had started working four days a week. And then, almost overnight, Wyvern was a ghost town.

"Don't worry about your job. I'm still working. When things get opened up again, you can look for another one."

"Well," Haley said, "At least I can catch up on some projects," Haley said, trying to look on the bright side.

But she knew how important this job was to her boyfriend and what he did. This wasn't an easy job for Kian. And Haley could feel him getting stressed every time he went back to work.

He looked down into Haley's dark eyes, which reflected his own fears. He put his finger under her chin, making her look up at him. Their lips were only inches apart.

"Hey. It'll be okay. We're going to get through this."

"Together." She smiled.

Then they kissed. It was a soft kiss. Not passionate or heated like the kisses they shared in bed. This kiss was sweet and loving. It held nothing but the love between them. It held everything.

"Too bad we had to put the wedding plans on hold," Kian said, putting his arm around her.

"We can wait until things open up. Maybe just a legal ceremony in the courthouse."
Haley murmured, kissing his wrist tattoo. "I can't wait until I can say that I'm your wife."

Life at home may have been on hold, but Kian still had to work. Haley would get up with him early in the morning and make him lunch. Surgeries, meetings, and consultations still were part of his job. It was demanding, but coming home was the best thing ever. He didn't know that a big change was about to happen.