Chapter 18

The baby shower was held a few months later. There were baby clothes, toys, and supplies of every kind. Emma and Jac were invited, but Emma was going to be at her dad's that weekend. Jac at first didn't want to go; just drop the gift off with Kian or at the shop. But Emma had made the gift herself and would have been heartbroken if Jac didn't give it to Haley in person.
The last gift in a bag, and the tag said simply,
"To Haley, love Jac and Emma."
The gift was a shadow box style frame. Inside was a heart made of yarn and glued to a cardboard sheet.
"I recognize this yarn color." Haley said.
Jac took a breath.
"Emma wore the hat she bought from your stand so much, that it unraveled after too many washes. But she refused to let me throw it out. She kept it in a plastic bag. She made the heart out of it."
"That was so sweet of her! I'll have to make another hat to replace it." When the party broke up, Haley gave Jac a hug. It surprised her, but she returned it.
"Thank you so much for coming, it really means a lot." Haley said.

The baby room was decorated in the best neutral theme that Haley and Kian could come up with; forest. Trees were painted on the walls and stuffed animals took up a whole corner. Kian hung a mobile above the crib. It was a dragonfly; Haley loved dragonflies. Kian and Haley placed their wedding photo on the bureau. They placed a cute stuffed lamb next to it.

"If it's a girl, we can add fairies and unicorns." Kian suggested, assembling the changing table.
"For a boy...let me guess...Star Wars?" Haley jabbed, rubbing her stomach as she felt the baby move. Kian walked over and laid his hands on Haley's bump.
"Girls can like Star Wars, too. Maybe some Ewoks in the trees?" The baby kicked again.

"He....or she's....going to be a tough little sucker." Kian's said, smiling. "I can't wait until we can go on family hikes together."
"Our little nature baby." Haley replied, kissing her husband.
"You've already got me on a first name basis with the guys at the convenience store down the street. What will you be craving tomorrow...peach gummies?"
"Actually I want a Cadbury fruit and nut chocolate bar....right now." Haley murmured, kissing Kian again.
"I've been spoiling you like crazy."
"I guess I made a good decision marrying a surgeon." Haley teased, locking him in an embrace. "And you're going to spoil the baby rotten."