Chapter 22

The day that followed had everyone stopping into the room to visit. Marty came in first, eager to meet his little cousin, then Nicky, Fletch, and Sacha.

The last two visitors the Madani family had that day were Jac and Emma.

"Haley! Kian!" Emma squealed, bounding up to the bed.

"Emma, be gentle." Jac said sharply, but only just suppressing a smile.

Kian enveloped Emma in a big hug.

"Emma, this is Farrah." He said

"She's so little! Why are brand new babies so tiny?" Emma asked innocently.

"It's a lot easier that way." Haley joked. Both her and Jac laughed.

"Can I hold her?" Emma asked with a giant smile on her face.

"She's still too small right now." Jac said. Emma's smile faded.

"Oh, here." Haley said lifting the baby out of the cot. "Just give her a little kiss on the head." Emma did, and the baby let out what sounded like a sigh. Emma let out a surprised gasp and smiled.

"Aw! She loves you!" Haley beamed.
Emma soon dug out Jac's phone to watch cartoons. With her daughter occupied, Jac started talking with Haley.

"I heard what happened. I was so afraid that Kian would lose someone else. I'm so happy for both of you."

"Thanks, Jac." Haley said, smiling.
Farrah yawned hugely, and Haley snuggled with her.

"Farrah? Do you want Aunt Jackie to hold you?"

"Please, no. Not 'Aunt Jackie'." Jac said, grimacing, but extending her arms.
Haley handed Farrah over, still smiling cheekily.

"Could you live with 'Auntie Jac'?" Haley said.

"Maybe." She said. The newborn snuggled in Jac's arms. Jac could feel her face crack open with a smile. Kian put on a look of exaggerated shock.

"Aaaah!" He screamed. "Jac Naylor can smile!"

"Can it, Madani." Jac jabbed back, putting her serious face back on.

Jac and Emma left shortly after that.

"Mummy, when can I go to Kian's house and see Aunt Haley and Farrah?" Emma asked as they got to the lobby.

"Who told you you you could call her that?" Jac said, surprised but not annoyed.

"She did....and Uncle Sacha said I could, too." Emma replied sheepishly.

"Maybe in a few weeks when she's feeling better."

"Okay." Emma took Jac's hand and they went home.