Chapter 3

-Megan's POV-

I woke to the sound of dripping water. My head was pounding, and I could feel the dried blood on my scalp. I cracked my eyes open and started when I saw where I was.

The room was dark, but the candlelight flickering through the barred window in the door let me see enough to know I was in a dungeon of some description. I was definitely going to become the High Lord's plaything, or maybe the High Lady wanted me. Either way, I wasn't going to get the quick and painless death I hoped for.

A breeze blew through the room, and I shivered, causing my shoulders to pop. My arms were hung above me, spreading them out, just like the whipping post back home, except my back was against the cold stone wall. I was glad for that one small reprieve; they couldn't see the scars that marred my entire back.

I was a little embarrassed to realise I was naked, apart from the band of cotton around my breasts and my less than covering underwear. Sure, I was used to my top half being bare for all to see on a Sunday, but never had I shown my whole body.

I pulled against the chains around my wrists, but I just pulled my right shoulder out of its socket, dislocating it. I cried out in pain, trying to put my weight more on my other arm.

The wind was also silent, it was strange not having the voice whispering into my ear that became so normal for me that the silence was crushing. The pain in my shoulder was constant and I wanted to cry, but I made myself push the tears down, I didn't want to seem weak.

Footsteps soon sounded down the hall and my cell door swung open, the High Lord walked in, followed by a male with wings, shrouded in Shadow. Azriel, the Spymaster, if I was remembering correctly.

He frowned at me as he took in my very obviously dislocated shoulder. They looked at each other before the Spymaster walked over. If I wasn't tied to the wall I would shrink back, this male was massive.

He untied the arm that was dislocated, so I was only hanging by one arm. He looked between me and the High Lord before snapping my join back into place.

I couldn't stop the whimper that escaped me at the pain it caused. I bit my lip, hard enough to draw blood so I didn't scream, I wouldn't scream. My arm was tied up once more and the Spymaster stepped back, making me relax a little more.

The High Lord leant against the wall opposite me, his arms crossed as he watched me.

"Who are you?" He asked eventually.

I couldn't tell him; I wasn't going to break any more rules that had been set for me.

"Ok, that was a bad question to start with on my part, I know you know my name, so what is yours?" He continued, looking almost amused at my obvious discomfort.

I could tell him, but I elected to remain silent, if I started talking, I would give away something by accident.

The Spymaster took a step closer, drawing his blade. He pressed it against my bare ribs, just shy of drawing blood.

"I suggest you answer," he snarled in my face.

I couldn't, I wouldn't. He sliced downwards, along my bone. I forced down my cry of pain as I felt my blood slide down my abdomen. I made myself breathe through the pain, just like I had done for years.

What I had never been able to properly stop, were the tears that slid down my cheeks, I was surprised when I managed it earlier, but now, they fell. I let my head drop so my chin rested on my chest, but I knew they both saw.

-Rhysand's POV-

I let Azriel take over asking her questions while I watched. She had whimpered when Az put her shoulder back in place, but hadn't made a sound as he cut her, despite the tears that fell.

She still hadn't said a word, so I didn't stop Azriel from torturing her, trying to get her to break. Half an hour later I couldn't see any skin anymore, the two pieces of cloth she wore were now red, and she had only let out a couple of pained whimpers, other than that she had remained silent.

I had seen grown men break under Truth Teller sooner than this, yet this child was still holding strong. I almost admired her for it.

'Stop Az.' I commanded into his mind.

He looked at me in surprise but stepped back.

The girl looked up, tear tracks on her cheeks and shock in her eyes. I took a step forwards and she dropped her head once more, like it was too much effort to hold it up.

"Is anyone else going to come and try to harm my family?" I asked, and Az stepped forwards again.

She looked up and met my eyes as Azriel held the blade over her heart.

"No, no one else is coming." She said after a pause, where she scanned my face.

Her voice surprised me, it was light and soft, even if she did sound exhausted.

"Are you sure?" Az asked.

"Yes," she breathed.

I nodded at him to let her go and his shadows undid her bonds. She fell to her knees and let out a cry, even though I could see her wounds begin to knit together.

Az melted into the shadows of the cell, though he still kept watch as I crouched down in front of her. I wished I knew her name, but she refused to give it to me, and I couldn't get into her mind.

I hooked a finger under her chin and lifted her head, so she was looking at me. she looked scared again, and I felt almost bad for letting Az torture her for so long.

"Why didn't you scream?" I asked gently, her eyes widened in shock before she pulled her face away from my hand.

"Why do you care?" She half growled at me.

"Because you don't look any older than Nyx, yet you withstood so much." I replied, my concern for her growing.

"Why are you playing with me, just end it already." She said, slumping back against the wall in defeat.

She expected me to kill her, even though she promised me no one else was coming for my family and she clearly didn't want to hurt anyone. I wondered if being in this cell was making a difference, would bringing her upstairs make her relax and actually talk to me?

A wind picked up and a faint smile appeared on her face as it wrapped around her. My mind wondered back to when Az's shadows told him she was the wind's mistress, was it talking to her?

'I'm taking her to the palace upstairs, I want to see if her being out of this cell will make her more talkative, ask Feyre to join us.' I said into Az's mind.

I felt him leave and I looked back at the girl's face, she was already watching me in confusion.

"I'm not going to kill you. Something tells me you didn't really want my son dead so I am taking you upstairs so we can talk somewhere less intimidating." I said before I took her arm where the cuts had healed and winnowed us to the palace.