Chapter 18

-Megan's POV-

Nyx gently shook me awake as his family were going to bed, telling me that I needed to get changed for bed. I was half asleep as I tugged the dress off and pulled on a night dress that covered less than was perhaps appropriate.

I didn't bother going to the bathing room, I didn't care if Nyx saw. I crawled back into the warmth of the bed and curled against Nyx once more. At some point he had taken his formal wear off and was now just in under shorts. I didn't really care; his body was solid and walm.

He held me against him, his presence a comfort as I slipped into sleep once more. Despite what the day had thrown at me, nightmares didn't plague my sleep.

The next morning, I awoke to Nyx running his fingers slowly through my hair.

"Morning," I mumbled.

He let out a small chuckle and I could feel his breath on my head, it sent a shiver down my spine.

"Good morning, Love, are you feeling better?" He asked, kissing the top of my head after.

"Yes, but I'm going to be in agony again today." I told him, unable to stop the tear that escaped.

"We are going to find whoever is doing this to you are stop them." He told me as he tilted my face up to look at him.

"Can you stay with me while it happens?" I asked, just having him there would help.

"Of course, I will, come on, let's go and have breakfast." He said as he slid out from under the covers.

"I want to accept the bond." I blurted.

He turned to me in shock.

"What?" He whispered.

"I, erm, well, I want to accept the bond, only if you do too of course, but I well." I stammered.

He silenced my rambling by pulling me close and kissing me. Fireworks exploded in my chest at the feel of his lips on mine.

He pulled away and left me sat there staring at him in shock. I had completely fallen for the boy I had been trained to kill; this was not how I thought my life would turn out.

He smiled, tucking my hair behind my ear as he looked into my eyes, nothing but love in his gaze.

"I would love to be your mate officially Love, but let's wait until this mess is sorted out, is that ok?" He asked, I nodded.

"Now come on, I don't know about you, but I'm hungry." He told me, grinning as he stood and pulled some clothes.

I got up as well, also dressing, pulling on a loose top and leggings, knowing that the fire would make me hot, and a jumper would be a stupid decision on my part.

Once we were both ready Nyx laced his fingers though mine as we walked down to the dining room.

We sat next to each other, and both looked at everyone around the table who was very blatantly staring at out still joined hands.

"So, I heard your bed was empty last night Nyx," Feyre said with a grin.

We both blushed and she laughed, Mor joining in.

"Nothing happened," Nyx mumbled.

"Have you at least kissed?" Cassian asked, my blush deepened.

"I don't ask about your make out sessions with Nesta even though the whole house can hear them Cassian," Nyx retorted.

"So, you have kissed?" He asked, brows raised.

The wind whisked in and slapped him around the back of the head.

"Ok, I get it, no asking about their love life." He grumbled, rubbing the back of his head while we all laughed.

Another breeze blew in, this one was carrying the flowers from yesterday, setting them on the table in front of me.

"Thank you for keeping them," I told the wind, and it ruffled my hair before leaving once more.

"Do you have any super heavy books?" I asked Feyre, I wanted to press all of the new flowers.

"Sure, Nyx can show you to the library, use the table in there to press them if you want," she said with a small smile.

"Thanks," I said, smiling at her as Nyx grabbed two apples and took my hand, leading me out of the dining room.

He took me up to the library and I looked around in awe, I had never seen so many books in one place. I went and got my three flowers from our walk around Velaris and lay them all on the table.

I placed some paper on the table with the flowers on top followed by more paper, that way the table and books stayed clean.

I carefully piled the books up and once I was satisfied, I left them to sit.

"How long will it take?" Nyx asked.

"I'm not sure, the smaller flowers will only take a day, but the slightly larger ones will take longer." I replied.

"Let's eat in here, otherwise the busybodies downstairs will just bombard us with questions." He said, gesturing to a table next to the window.

We sat and ate in silence, I watched the city out of the window, enjoying watching as people moved around, living their lives.

"I'm scared Nyx," I whispered once I had finished eating.

"I know, I am too," he replied.

"I can't even go and do something to take my mind off it because I don't know when this person is going to light the next fire." I said, forcing the tears down.

"How about we sit on your bed, and I can read to you, then you will be comfortable and doing something," Nyx suggested.

"You would really do that?" I breathed.

"Of course, Love, come on, I have a book I think you will like, let's go." He said, smiling gently as he took my hand and led me to his room.

I sat on his bed as he grabbed the book off his shelf then he settled next to me. I tucked into his side, and he began reading.

The book was about a young assassin having to face her own trials. I could relate to her trauma, the whip marks that marred her back must be the same as mine.

He had just reached a really interesting part, she was fighting a beast in castle dungeons, when the fire erupted in me.

I was sure it was worse this time, it felt like my entire body had been thrown into the fire. I was vaguely aware of Nyx holding me against him tightly as I thrashed and screamed, trying to comfort me.

I pushed my magic out, relief washing over me as I was whisked over the ocean to Hybern. It was the same as normal, the same forest, the same burnt clearing, the same large fire, burning the ring further.

But this time, a male was stood in the middle. He had his eyes closed and looked peaceful, like he hadn't a care in the world. I couldn't stop my small gasp, though in this strange out of body form it wouldn't have much impact.

The male's eyes opened, and he turned to look directly at me, causing me to wonder if he could indeed see me somehow. He raised his hand in greeting before winnowing away.

I let out a long breath before turning my attention back to the trees, the fire. I snuffed it out then allowed myself to go back to my body, I had stayed here for too long.

I opened my eyes to see Nyx staring down at me, concern in his eyes. He visibly relaxed when he saw I was ok.

"I saw him." I breathed before my world span then went dark.