Chapter 19

-Nyx's POV-

"'I saw him' what does that even mean!" I asked in frustration.

I had been pacing the length of the room since Megan had fallen unconscious in my arms after uttering those words. My mother was sat in a chair next to my bed, where Megan now lay.

"Nyx, if you keep pacing you will wear a hole in the carpet, for my sanity's sake please just sit down." She sighed.

I listened to her, sitting next to where Megan lay on the bed, taking her hand in mine and running my thumb over the back of her palm.

She had been out for a lot longer this time and I was beginning to get worried, what if something was happening and we didn't know. There was a knock of the door and my father walked in, also looking worried.

"Any change?" He asked.

I shook my head, staring down at my mate.

"Nyx is still going on about this mystery 'him' that Megan was talking about." My mother told him, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"I'm sure she'll tell us when she wakes." My father said with a slight smile.

"Damn right," Megan almost whispered.

"Hey, you're awake," I said gently.

"Nyx, I need you to go into my head, I'll let you in, just see what happened in Hybern." She muttered, brows furrowing.

I looked down at her in concern, she still hadn't opened her eyes. I gently cupped her cheek with my hand and pressed my forehead to hers as she opened a slither of her shield.

She played through her memory of what happened in her mind while she was unconscious.

I saw her get pulled across the ocean to a burning forest in Hybern, the ever growing ring of burnt down trees. Then I saw the male stood in the centre of it all, his back to her. As we watched he turned and lifted a hand in greeting before he winnowed away.

I pulled back and Megan closed her shield once more. I kissed her temple before sitting up again, taking her hand.

"What did you see?" Mum asked.

"I'll show you both." I replied, it wasn't exactly something I could describe.

I played through the scene again, letting them see what she saw. When we all looked at Megan, she was still limp, eyes still closed, the only thing telling me she was conscious was the slight grip she kept on my hand.

"So, this is the male setting the fires, I wonder why." My father wondered aloud.

"I don't know, nor do I particularly care, right now I would just really like him to stop." Megan grumbled as her eyes finally opened and she tried to sit up.

She hissed in pain and fell back down. I carefully lifted her, so she was leaning against me, my arms around her shoulders.

I could feel the emotions she was trying to lock away; I knew she wanted to seem strong in front of us.

"It's ok Love, let it out." I murmured and she began to sob into my chest.

"It was so much worse this time, I felt like my whole body had been thrown in lava, and I couldn't breathe, I can't do this anymore Nyx, I can't." She cried.

I looked to my mother, hoping that she would have some form of advice to give, but she was just staring at Megan with a helpless look, tears in her own eyes.

I held her close to me as she cried, trying to comfort her the best I could while not knowing what to say to make any of it better.

Once her sobs had eased and she was just curled up in my arms mum began to talk.