Chapter 15

-Nyx's POV-

As soon as Megan's door closed, I ran for the sitting room.

"Nyx, what on earth is the matter?" Mum asked.

"She's my mate," I said, running my fingers though my hair.

"We know," Mor said.

"And you didn't think to tell us?" I exclaimed.

"Why would we do that?" Cass asked, grinning.

"I believe you lot owe me some money." Mor declared.

"You all bet on us!" I asked, glaring at them all.

"Don't look at me." Mum said, I just rolled my eyes.

"Does she know?" Dad asked, changing the topic as Mor received her winnings.

"Yeah, we figured it out at the same time, I just, I want to make her feel loved and special, she's never had that before, but I don't know how to go about it, she asked to take it slow and I promised her we could, but I don't actually know how any of this works, I've never loved someone like this." I rambled.

Mum was laughing slightly, Mor just laughing openly while the males all had wide smiles on their faces.

"What?" I asked.

"You've completely fallen," my dad said.

"You laughing at me isn't helping, what do I do?" I asked.

"Make her feel special Nyx, do little things that make her feel valued." Mum said gently, smiling brightly at me.

"Mum, could I borrow one of your tiaras please?" I asked, deciding that my first thing was going to be showing everyone who she was mated with.

"I have a better idea, come with me," dad told me, standing, and offering me his hand.

I took it and he winnowed us away, setting us in a dark room. With a wave of his hand small blue lights flickered to life, illuminating the room that was lined with crowns and tiaras.

"Pick one for her Nyx." He told me, gesturing to the room.

"Are these all yours?" I breathed, taking it all in.

"They are, just as they belong to you as well, so pick one for your mate." He said.

I walked over to the smallest tiara in the room. I knew Megan would hate having anything overly flashy, like most of these tiaras. I also knew she would prefer the clear diamonds in this to the black diamonds and sapphires on the others.

I carefully lifted it off its cushion and turned back to face my father, he was already smiling at me

"Keep it somewhere safe until the morning." He suggested, I nodded, and he winnowed us home.

I turned in after that, knowing that tomorrow would be more tiring than I originally thought, should Tamlin see how close his daughter has gotten to this family.

-Megan's POV-

I awoke earlier than I was supposed to, but I still felt refreshed. I knew going back to sleep would be impossible, so I got up and went to watch the sunrise from the window.

Watching the sunrise over Velaris was a view I knew I would never get tired of; it made the city glisten in a way I had never seen before. Once it got too bright to look as I ran myself a hot bath and soaked for a while, letting my back relax in the water.

I didn't stay on there too long, getting out and drying myself off before staring at the dress. I still loved it, and was excited to put it on, but I was also nervous about not only meeting the other High Lords but facing my father.

I let out a long breath before slipping into the dress then staring at myself in the mirror. I looked just as pretty as I remembered.

"Megan!" Mor called through the door.

I opened it for her, and she took me in, beaming.

"Perfect, here, I have these shoes for you, I'm hoping they fit." She said, handing them to me.

I slipped the small black heals into my feet and found that they fit perfectly. I smiled at her, and she took my arm, sitting me at the vanity.

She began to brush out my hair before pulling it back into a messy, yet elegant bun, leaving a couple of strands of hair to frame my face.

Once she was done, I took myself in again, smiling slightly.

"It's going to be ok, you know that, right?" Mor asked, coming to stand next to me.

"I just have a bad feeling Mor, that's all," I explained.

"These meetings are the definitions of bad feelings, you needn't be worried about that, and I think Nyx will kill anyone who tries to harm you in anyway, you're well protected with him, or if you feel like murdering anyone who tries to harm you, I'm sure everyone will enjoy watching that too." She said with a wink before carefully strapping a dagger to my ankle.

"You are my new favourite person." I told her as I took the knife out of its sheath to inspect it.

"Nyx will be heartbroken," she mocked, I rolled my eyes.

Once I had sheathed the dagger Mor took my hand and led me towards the foyer.

There was chatter below and I knew I had instinctively stiffened. Mor gave my hand a reassuring squeeze before we walked down the stairs together. Nyx's mouth practically fell open as I came into view and Cassian closed it for him, earning him a slap.

The male in question had come back from the Steeps early to attend the meeting, deciding to be extra security alongside Azriel.

I walked over to him, and he offered me his hand, which I gladly accepted. I looked at Feyre and Rhys and saw why they were the Lord and Lady of Night, it practically leaked from them.

"You both look stunning." I told them.

"As do you, now are we ready to go, Azriel says it's safe." Rhys asked.

"Wait," Nyx said, turning me to face him.

I saw a flash of silver in his hands before he set something on my head. As he prepared to winnow us away, I lifted my hand and felt a tiara sat there.