Chapter Fourteen

I woke up with my hands tied behind my back and a throbbing head. My mind was foggy; my movements sluggish as I squirmed in the hard metal chair someone had tied me to. A groan accompanied the sharp pains rippling through my skull with each stiff move I made. I eventually gave up on struggling, and unwillingly pulled my eyes open. The room I was in appeared to be some type of abandoned warehouse, complete with creepy flickering fluorescents and an eerie green tint. I raised my head up with more effort than I would’ve liked, and looked around me, seeing nothing but endless rows of old cardboard boxes and crates.

            Suddenly, everything from the previous night came rushing back to me. My heart began to pump faster and panic rose in my chest as I remembered that he finally came. He snuck into my house while my parents were out and took me.

            My parents.

            How long had I been gone? Had they noticed yet? Was it even daylight outside? A thousands questions nagged at me, making my anxiety that much worse. I found myself shaking, nearly on the brink of tears as it all sunk in. I’d probably never see my family again. I’d probably never see Jenny or Colby again, either.

            “Well, well, well, look who finally woke up,” A loud voice boomed.

            My head shot up, sending another throb through my temples. I winced, but still managed to focus on the familiar face walking towards me. Hope swelled in me, excitement bubbling like a pot of water left on the stove too long.

            “Colby!” I croaked. I cleared my throat before trying again. “Colby, you found me! Hurry, untie my hands before he gets back!”

            He simply laughed, a menacing, deep chuckle.

            I furrowed my brows. “Why are you just standing there? Help me before he gets back and catches us both!”

            He gave me a pitying look. “Oh, Cassie. Haven’t you figured it out yet?” A sadistic smirk curled up the corners of his lips at my confused look. “Sweetie, I am ‘him’.

            Perplexity swept through me before realization finally dawned.

            Hurt, I looked up at Colby in utter disbelief. “You’re the one that’s been leaving me those notes? You’re the one who kidnapped me?” I stumbled over the word ‘kidnapped,’ those two syllables like poison on my tongue. I honestly couldn’t believe my best friend would stab me in the back like that.

            He let out another, self-satisfied laugh. “Sucks, doesn’t it?”

            “But why?” I whispered, a fresh wave of betrayal and hurt stinging me like a thousand bees. Tears welled up in my eyes as I took in his heartless, uncaring expression.

            “You really want to know why, Cassie?” His blue eyes were cold as he spoke, his voice rising in volume as he got angrier and more aggressive. “You really want to know why? Because Toby shouldn’t have been the one that died, it should’ve been you! He was my best friend, Cassie. It made me sick to know that you were still waltzing around like you were the hottest thing to ever live. You were almost smug, and that didn’t sit well with me, Cass.”

            “Are you crazy?” I choked out, “Toby’s death killed me, Colby. You have no idea how many times I wished I was the one that died, wished that psycho had gotten me instead!”

            “Shut up!” He yelled, kicking a stray chair to the side and getting in my face. “It’s my turn to play,” he spat in a dangerously low voice. “You’re going to suffer the way I’m sure your brother did when that guy snagged him from the concert. I’m going to torture you, break you, and crush your spirit until there’s nothing left but an empty shell.”

            A low sob broke free of my lips as warm tears spilled from my eyes. My chest heaved with each heavy breath I took, grief crushing me like a thousand-pound weight. It’s like my brother died all over again, only this time the pain was enough to kill me. One of the few people I actually thought I could trust betrayed me, and that hurt about as bad as Toby’s murder.

            “Dry it up, Princess. Crying won’t get you anywhere.” His voice was softer, but not any warmer. I bit down hard on my lip, tasting blood. I didn’t care, he was right. Crying would get me nowhere.

            “What are you going to do with me?” I asked, even if I had a sinking feeling that I already knew.

            He looked me straight in the eyes and pulled a switchblade from his back pocket. He smirked when my eyes widened. “Kill you. Eventually. But not now. I have to have my fun first.” With a wink he disappeared behind a pile of boxes. I let my head drop in defeat, blinking back more tears. This couldn’t be happening. Not Colby, of all the people in the world. It couldn’t be right. He had to be joking. He had to.

            But I knew he wasn’t. I knew this was real, despite my vehement denial. He wouldn’t go this far for a prank. I knew him; or at least, I thought I did.

            When he emerged back from behind the boxes, he was flipping his blade out repeatedly, as if getting a feel for it. The sight of him disgusted me now. I couldn’t believe I had trusted him so much, gave him everything I had, and he used it against me. A fresh spark of raw emotion tore at me, strong enough to make me crumple to the ground if I wasn’t already sitting down. My mind was having trouble wrapping around the new turn of events, but who could blame me? It was enough to make anyone’s head spin.

            It occurred to me to ask Colby how long I’d been out, but I kept my mouth clamped tightly shut. I might’ve lost it if I tried to speak to him, knowing everything he’d done and said. I didn’t think the shock would ever wear off. I just wanted to know what snapped in him, what really lead him to leave me those notes, and then kidnap me. I just didn’t understand.

            I heard something scrape against the concrete floor and looked up to find Colby dragging another chair in front of me. He flipped it around and straddled it, his arms resting on the back, eyes glued to mine. I held his gaze for a second before dropping my eyes back to the floor. I didn’t like what I saw in him. I didn’t see the guy I had leaned on for nearly a year and a half, I saw a monster.

            “Tell me what you’re thinking,” he murmured.

            “Why?” I shot back.

            “I want to know. Tell me.”

            I shot him the harshest glare I could muster. “I have a feeling you wouldn’t like what I have to say very much.”

            He rolled his eyes, swinging the blade between his fingertips. “Don’t be like that, Cass. Being snappy won’t get you anywhere now.”

            “Being nice won’t get me out of this situation either, so what’s the point? News flash Colby, we’re not best friends anymore.”

            “Whatever,” he grumbled. He seemed genuinely offended. I almost laughed at his put-off expression. He had to be on something if he honestly thought I’d be anything but hostile with him after this.

            We fell into tense silence after that. The only sound to keep us company was the soft hum of the overhead lights. I looked everywhere but at him, studying the warehouse we were in in hopes of finding a possible exit. Unfortunately, I couldn’t spot any windows or doors from my position in the chair. There wasn’t even a vent in sight. I sighed and slumped further down, ignoring the rope cutting into my wrists as I did so.

            It was going to be a seriously long night.