Chapter Four

I might change the title of this story... I don't know, we'll see. But stuff starts getting more exciting in this chapter :D At least, I hope you'll think it is.. D: Enjoy. & Comment and Vote (:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Walking through my house was the equivalent of walking through a haunted mansion on the day of my party, which was also Halloween. Everything was creepy, but with an oddly elegant twist. The decorators my parents had hired really knew what they were doing. I had to admit, even if I wasn’t thrilled at the idea of my huge birthday party, the house looked awesome. Cobwebs were placed strategically all over the place, draped from the handrail of the stair case and hanging daintily from our lights. Our family pictures had been placed in cracked picture frames that looked like they belonged in the nineteen-twenties, and a beautiful old fashioned table cloth had been laid out on the dining room table with a silver candelabrum for the center piece. My modest home had been turned into the ultimate masquerade palace.

    Of course, I wouldn’t have much time to enjoy it before it was filled with my classmates, because Jenny had efficiently locked me in my room while her two cousins did our hair and make-up. The blondes nearly talked my ear off the whole time. They barely even left a pause for me to respond in between sentences. But I do have to admit, they did good work. My raven hair had been curled into delicate, loose corkscrews, with half pinned back. My electric green eyes were framed with thick, dark lashes and a light smudge of black eyeliner, complimenting the shiny mint lip gloss they forced onto me perfectly.

    “You look great, sweetie!” Leslie, one of Jenny’s cousins, told me.

    A blush tinted my already rosy cheeks. “Thanks,” I told her, admiring their two-hour job in the mirror. All that was left was slipping into my dress. I padded over to my closet and grabbed the maroon gown from its perch. The silk taffeta slid easily over my freshly done hair and fitted perfectly to my body, just like I remembered from the mall. I swished the skirt around a little, feeling a tiny boost in my usually non-existent confidence as I stood in front of a body length mirror. Maybe the ball gown was just what I needed, instead of the death trap I originally gave it credit for being.

    Jenny came up behind me and placed her hands lightly on my exposed shoulders. “Your date is going to die,” she breathed, grinning to herself as she appraised my appearance.

    My smile faltered. “Date?” I asked, turning away from the mirror to face my best friend. It was just like me to get so caught up in everything else that I forgot about the blind date situation…

    “Yeah! I found the perfect guy, don’t worry.” Her freshly glossed lips curled up into a devious smile as she grabbed my mask from the table beside us. “Now, put this on. He should be here any minute.”

    I took the delicate mask from her hands and secured it over my eyes. “I swear Jenny, if it’s Brandon, I’m going to strangle you!” I warned.

    She rolled her eyes. “Didn’t I already tell you it wouldn’t be him? He’s coming with Danni Lynn.”

    “Alright, alright,” I grumbled, stepping away from my reflection and attempting to sit down on the bed.

     “Don’t do that!” Leslie gasped, ushering me back up with rapid hand movements. “We don’t want that gorgeous dress wrinkled before your grand entrance!”

   I raised an eyebrow at Jenny. “Grand entrance?” Nobody mentioned anything about a grand entrance.

   Jenny let out an awkward laugh, “Aha, yeah…Didn’t I tell you? You and your date are going to make a grand entrance down the staircase once everyone is here…so you can’t leave this room until then.”