Chapter Eleven

Update!(: You're welcome(; This is where things get intense O_O

Enjoy, lovlies <3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Terror struck emerald eyes pierced my own. I knew those eyes. They were mine, but that wasn’t me. He had my hair, my eyes, my mouth; he was the perfect clone, but with one distinct difference. That was my brother.

            “Toby?” His name left my lips in a barely audible whisper.

            “Cassie.” His painfully familiar voice encased me in its deep melody, sending a stab of hurt through my chest.

            It couldn’t be. Toby was dead, he couldn’t be standing in front of me. I took a step closer to him and let my fingertips brush against his arm. A jolt of electricity shot through me, forcing me to jerk my arm away and take a quick step back.

            “Be careful, Cass. It isn’t safe out there.” Toby’s voice was border lining frantic as he wrapped his hands tightly around my upper arms and another shock hit my skin. I tried to pull away, but his grip tightened, his eyes growing wilder and more pleading with each second that passed.

            “What are you talking about?” I asked, succumbing to his iron grip and letting him shake me around like a rag doll.

            “He’s out there, he’s never going to leave you alone.”

            My heart beat picked up, fueled by fear and adrenaline. “Who’s out there? Who isn’t going to leave me alone?”

            “He’s going to get you, Cassandra. He isn’t going to rest until he gets you!”

            “Will you please just tell me what you’re talking about?!” I begged.

            An ear-shattering bang echoed around the dark room, bouncing off the nonexistent walls and screeching through my ears. Toby’s eyes suddenly went blank, dead. Realization slowly dawned on me as blood poured from his mouth and his arms went limp at his sides. He fell to his knees, giving me just enough time to step back before his lifeless corpse dropped face-first on a harsh, concrete floor.

            A noise escaped my throat that was more animal than human, a noise full of agony and pain. I slumped next to my brother and felt the warm tears spilling down my cheeks before I even realized I’d been crying.

            “Wake up, please,” I begged. “You can’t leave me again, not now.”

            I stiffened when I felt cool breath on the back of my neck. An arm curled around my waist, as a deep, frightening voice rumbled in my ear.

            “You’re next.”

            I shot forward in bed, choking on my own sobs. I gasped for breath and frantically pushed my tear-soaked, tangled hair away from my face. I felt a pulsating pain in my stomach, like a thousand rusty nails were being shoved through my midriff at once. Or like I was the one who had been shot.

            A wave of grief washed over me like tsunami as Toby’s dead eyes flashed through my mind again and again. I doubled over, clutching my chest and letting the sobs rack my body. Fresh tears wet my cheeks and dripped onto my blanket as I let all my emotions out for the first time since my twin brother’s funeral. I cried until there were no tears left, but the ache was still there. It was like my nightmare reopened all the old wounds from losing my other half.