Chapter Seven

Thank all of you guys for being so amazing & patient! You have no idea how much that means to me! I just started my freshman year & I'm trying to get into the swing of things with homework, studying, and my stories, so please just bear with me. But thanks again for being patient! You guys are awesome. I hope this turned out well, but I'll let you guys judge that(: So enjoy, my lovlies <3 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

     “Mom, I promise you, I’ll be fine,” I reiterated for the thousandth time as my mother flitted around the house in an attempt to get ready for a romantic weekend with my dad. For some reason, she was having the hardest time accepting the fact that I could survive for two whole days by myself.

     “Oh, honey, I know. I still awful for leaving you on such short notice, though.” She didn’t stop once as she twirled around the room in a tornado of clothes and shoes.

      “It’s not a big deal. I’m seventeen now. Besides, dad worked hard to get you those last-minute hotel reservations for your anniversary.”

      Her lips formed into a tight line. “I still wish he would’ve given me more notice, but it’ll be nice to get out of the house for something a little more fun than one dinner.” She sighed and flung the lid of her suitcase closed.

      I grimaced. “Alright, how about you go meet Dad before you say something I really don’t need to hear?” I handed her jacket up to her, to which she smiled gratefully.

       “We’ll be back Sunday evening, okay? There’s some money on the kitchen counter so you can order out, and please, no wild parties.”

       I snapped dramatically, “Oh darn! And here I was hoping to completely trash the house!”

       She rolled her eyes. “Just behave. I’ll see you in a couple days.” With a kiss on my forehead, she rushed out of her bedroom and down the stairs. “Love you!” She called up to me, and then was finally gone. I let out a sigh and pulled myself up off the king-sized mattress.

         Alone at last, I thought to myself.

        My feet fell with a dull thud on each stair as I bounded down into the living room and straight into the kitchen. A plate with a couple slices of French toast and a sausage link sat on the kitchen table, just waiting for me to come and devour them. I happily slid into a chair and pulled the food so it was in front of me. Leave it to my mom to get up at five in the morning just to fix me breakfast before she took off on an anniversary trip. Not that I’m complaining.

        After a few minutes of eating in utter silence, I decided it was probably time to head to school. With much reluctance, I dumped the dishes and headed into the living room to grab my stuff. A grimace twisted my mouth as soon as I lifted my backpack and struggled to hitch it up on my shoulder. It weighed down mercilessly on my poor arm as I leaned down to quickly scoop up car and house keys.

          “I hate school,” I muttered to myself as I stepped out into the nippy morning air. Dense fog enveloped me the second my Converse hit the concrete, making it impossible to see more than three-feet ahead. I squinted my eyes and took a couple steps forward until I could finally make out the dark shape of my car in the driveway, like a beacon in the night. A slight shiver pranced down my spine as I scurried over to the Pontiac my grandparents had so kindly given to me as a sixteenth birthday present.

       I hastily pressed down on the unlock button of my car remote and stuffed my cow of a backpack into the backseat. My shoulders drooped in relief as soon as the pressure of four text books and two folders left them. It’s like teachers purposely try to eliminate any possibilities of a social life, or sleep during school. Either that or they want us to die of brain-exhaustion. I slammed the door shut and went to open the driver’s side, but stopped in my tracks when I noticed a Post-It stuck on the window.