Chapter - 20

Hello Fam :)

Warning: Manik is trying to deal with something here. Keep your head away from any hard surface to stop your urge from banging it somewhere. 

Happy Reading...

Manik woke up with a frown on his head when he felt the weight of Nandini half lying on top of him. As far as he remembered, they were sitting on the bed and talking late in the night. Probably, they had fallen asleep like that. It must be an accident because when she is in her right senses, Nandini would have killed him for sleeping beside her.

To save both of them the embarrassment, he freed himself without waking her up and slipped to Cabir's room to get ready for the office.

XXX

It was ten in the morning and Cabir was goofing around in his cabin. The workload was less and his baby brother demanded a much-needed break. "I am multitasking and even the professionals need a break", said Cabir, the first thing half an hour after they came to the office.

"Why didn't you take a break then? You could have rested there?", asked Manik.

"I am multitasking and even while taking a break, I am doing work and my work at home is completed. It's at this place I have to deal with", he said the last line to himself.

Manik had a guess of what's going on. He hadn't read all those novels just for nothing. "I don't know if you are being smart or stupid but whatever you are doing, don't hurt anyone."

"I am dealing with my closest people. I wouldn't dare to do that, Manik."

Manik believed the sincerity in his voice. Cabir can go overboard at times but he wouldn't willingly hurt someone. It was easy to slip into their usual banter after that assurance. The past few days when he had his own mission to plot something involving Nandini, there was a passive-aggressive argument between them. Manik doesn't like to argue with his baby brother but he wanted to let him know about his disagreement with Cabir and making him understand by having a civil conversation was out of option when he doesn't want to listen.

Half an hour later, there was a knock and Manik remembered texting Meera in the morning to meet him. "Meera, hey. Good morning. Sit down, please."

Once she was comfortably seated he turned to Cabir. "Baby, I need to talk to Meera alone?", he said. Manik made sure to let him know that there was no option to argue.

From the way Cabir was gaping at him, he understood the hidden order in Manik's voice. To show his displeasure, he banged the magazine on the table before banging the door of his cabin while leaving.

Manik laughed at him and made sure he was out of the cabin. "Ignore him. He is just being dramatic. Meera, I just wanted to know if you are happy working here?"

"Of course, Sir. Why the sudden question?", she asked.

"It has been long since we had a casual conversation. I love your work and I respect you. It's also my job to make sure you are happy", he told and sighed. "Meera, apart from this, I would really appreciate it if you don't mix up your personal life with your profession."

She laughed and it was anything but the pleasant one or the sweet smile he was used to. "It's about your wife then?", she asked. "I wasn't the one who mixed their personal and professional lives. Is that why we are sponsoring Murthy Industries?"

"I heard you have a crush on me. Is that why you are doing this?", asked Manik. If his tone was sarcastic, he didn't bother to apologize.

"Sir?"