Chapter - 5

Hello Fam :)

Thank you for all your comments in the last chapter. It was overwhelming. 

Finally, we are getting some answers. :)

Warning: Take a break if it's getting too sad for you. Also, it's a long one. 

Happy Reading...

Nyonika was pacing in her room when Manik reached her door and Cabir was sitting on the couch. "Mom", called Manik, without going inside, halting her in her steps.

She rolled her eyes before dragging him inside the room and forced him to sit on the couch. She handed the first-aid box to Cabir, silently asking him to do the dressing. When his brother was done with wrapping a bandage around his arm, Nyonika glared at Manik. "Manik, you are a Malhotra and your whole life is under scanner from the moment you have taken over the Malhotra Industries. I have explained this to you a million times. Couldn't you wait for a few more days before getting married to the love of your life? Didn't you think Cabir or my presence was required in your grand ceremony?"

After four years of working with his mother, Manik was good at reading her serious and dramatic face. "If you're done with your ranting, can I explain, please", he told, flashing his smile to cool her down. It worked like magic and Nyonika crossed her arms, pouted.

"I am still angry", she told.

Beside him, Cabir was shaking his head, a laugh on his face. He ended up at the receiving end of Nyonika's glares. The boy raised his hand. "Don't make me a victim. It's Manik, remember."

Manik punched his brother lightly but pulled Nyonika between them and rested his head on her shoulder. He sighed when she ran her fingers through his hair. "Mom, I apologize for everything. I never thought I would have to marry someone in front of the people I hate the most."

"Bhai, you don't hate people", said Cabir.

"I can't help it, baby. I don't have any other word to describe them", he told before turning back to his mother. "Mom, I have waited for four years, I could have waited for forty more years but the Murthy's couldn't."

"What happened, Manik?", asked his mother. "What did they do even, kid?"

There was a concern in her voice and it was all Manik needed to let his frustration out. He had his strength beside him and he didn't need to have a grip on his emotions anymore. Hence, he just did that. He let his words out, in broken sentences, whatever he could have managed without caring if he was making any sense or not. "Mom, I can't even imagine what would have happened if I didn't go there at the right time. They would have spoiled her life completely."

Nyonika nodded. She had a frown on her face. "Isn't the Kapoor kid too young for her? He is what? 16 right?", she asked Cabir.

Manik snorted. "Mom, they were trying to get her married to Mr. Kapoor, not his kid."

"Manik, but he celebrated his sixtieth birthday last week", said Cabir.

"Exactly. And he was there at that house, proudly announcing himself as Nandini's to-be husband. Mom, I haven't talked to her yet but they confessed that they had her house-arrested all these years. I don't know what they had done to her but this isn't the Nandini I know. She isn't the one who had taught me to live", he said. Manik wanted to cry for Nandini, thinking about every possible scenario he had ever read. He felt the oxygen running out of his lungs and it was getting difficult to breathe.

While Nyonika rubbed his back, Cabir grabbed a glass of water for him. After making him drink the water, Nyonika pulled him in her arms and started drawing circles on his back. "Manik, kid, love has the power to heal every wound and fill colors in life. Just the way she taught you to live your life, why don't you stay strong for her and help her back to her previous self?"