Chapter - 3

Hello Family :)

A/N - I have noticed people don't even trust me. Read the chapter and make your conclusions. Looking at the previous comments, this track of plot hasn't crossed your mind yet (Again, my conclusion is based on the comments.) 

Happy Reading...

Manik was a little surprised when Nyonika asked him to call the driver. Over the years, he had improved his driving. When asked, she informed him that their destination was on the outskirts of the city. Even during the ride, Nyonika was silent whereas Manik was busy sending back and forth text messages to the people he had hired to track Nandini and Meera, who was handling the office for the day all alone but his mother didn't make any effort to start a conversation. It would have been normal years back but now just strange. He didn't give it much thought when his head was already overloaded by his thoughts. It was the second consecutive day that he had trouble sleeping and this time it was Nandini instead of Cabir.

Two hours later, the car halted in front of an isolated Villa. There wasn't a single house around it. Cabir would have been gone mad just by looking at the place. "Mom, what's this meeting about?", he asked when they reached the door.

"We are here to see their daughter for you", she told.

Before Manik could protest, a butler at the door ushered them in. He wasn't about to disrespect his mother by walking away but he could at least explain to the girl about his possible reasons not to marry her. During the past few years, Manik had control over his life. He took his decisions, both personal or professional, and if Nyonika had a suggestion, they would sit and talk generally. He wondered what was different today?

His questions were answered when he found the owner of the house, greeting them, in the form of the person he disliked the most in the world, Mr. Murthy. Manik glanced at Nyonika. She gave a light pat to the middle of Manik's back to alert him as she smiled at Mr. Murthy. Manik put on his facade of a businessman and shook his hand with the man in front of him. Maybe he might obtain his answers right here at this meeting.

With every passing minute, the house was making Manik uneasy. Beside him, Nyonika was filling up the gaps in the conversation. "Why don't you bring the girl in?", she asked.

His heartbeat was already skyrocketing. He wondered if it was audible to Nyonika too because she had her hand on top of his as she squeezed it before withdrawing. He thought he was reliving the last four years in the last five minutes. The girl who had occupied the whole of his brain for the last twenty-four hours and his heart for the past four years appeared and Manik felt his breath stuck in his throat. Nandini hadn't noticed him yet, head bent down, eyes on the floor as she let her mother lead her into the living room, Manik realized the girl in front of him wasn't his head girl.

"It's so nice of you to forward your proposal regarding our daughter's alliance, Mrs. Malhotra", said Mr. Murthy, breaking Manik's concentration on Nandini. "We are honored."

Nandini had shot her head up when she heard Nyonika speaking but just as soon she lowered her head. Manik noticed Mrs. Murthy's hand on her shoulder as she squeezed it. She was grounding Nandini's emotions, thought Manik, or controlling her. Manik frowned at second thought.

He trusted his mother to keep the conversation going as Manik wandered his gaze all around the house. Details were important, small or big. Mr. Murthy was blabbering about how lucky he was. Mrs. Murthy was tense. Both of them were nervous for some reason. Even though the villa had a very good outer ambiance, the inside of the house was too artificial. There wasn't a single personal touch to anything, no photographs, or books, or any other memos.