Chapter -2

Hello Fam :)

Look who's here. The hero himself. :P

Happy Reading...

Manik Malhotra values time, both his and others. He tries to attend his meetings on time and go to the office on time. Of course, there are exceptions, days when his mother, Nyonika, had to wake him up because he was up all night and missed his morning alarm. Most of the time, it was because he was reading a book. Sometimes it's because someone kept him at night from going to sleep and it hurts him when the particular someone wouldn't be beside him in the morning to bear the consequences.

When his mobile buzzed, bringing him back from his thoughts, Manik parked his car at the corner of the road to answer it. It was Nyonika. "No, mom, I haven't slept on my way to the office or toppled my car over my thoughts." He was repeating the exact words of his mother when she waved him goodbye in the morning. The past few years had only twisted her humor close to his baby brother.

"Shut up, Manik", she scolded but Manik knew she was laughing. "I have called for a favor actually."

"I just left our home ten minutes back", he pointed out.

"What did the world come to? Children don't even want their mothers to call them", she complained.

"Mom, tell me. I am late already."

"By half an hour and you are the boss, you nerd", she told. "Anyways, stop indulging me in useless talk. Listen to me now."

Manik rolled his eyes. He was so much better with one dramatic person in his life when life offered him another.

"I have to go somewhere tomorrow and I want you to accompany me. Free your time tomorrow", she told.

"Okay, I will inform you after checking the schedule", told Manik. He mentally recollected if there are any important meetings he couldn't postpone.

"I am not giving an option, kid. Free your day. It's important", she ordered.

Manik frowned at the sudden seriousness in her tone. "Sure, mom. I will ask Meera to handle the office for tomorrow."

XXX

By the time Manik reached the office, he was tired. He had thought about all the possible reasons for this sudden important meeting but he couldn't come to a conclusion. Hence, when there was a commotion at the entrance, he ignored it, trusting his receptionist to handle the situation.

"Manik, Sir", she called him.

Maybe the universe was spinning in the opposite direction to him for the day. He took a deep breath and turned around.

"Sir, they don't have an appointment and are not even listening when I told them that you haven't come to the office yet", complained the receptionist.

Manik felt himself stiffen at the couple in front of him. The girl at the reception was complaining about them but he ignored her. How can he when the spinning of the universe took him back to four years in the past.

"I would have never believed that the CEO of Malhotra Industries could ever be late to the office. I thought you were the most punctual businessman, Mr. Malhotra", teased Abhimanyu.

Manik shook his head but a smile graced his face. "Unfortunately, I was stuck on the topic 'street food is the best' on a Skype call last night. I am still feeling sleepy but I wouldn't miss this for the world." He pulled Abhimanyu into a hug followed by Mukti.

"That must be Cabir", said Mukti. "Where is that idiot?"

"Out of town for a meeting", informed Manik. "He will be back in a few days. Why don't we sit down and talk?." When they nodded in answer, Manik turned to the receptionist. "Add them to the family list. No need for an appointment to meet Cabir or me."