Chapter - 9

Hello Fam :)

So, finally, I got some time away from my assignments and classes. Learning a new language would get to you at times. :(

There would be another update probably by the end of the day or tomorrow.

Happy Reading...

When Manik reached the hospital, Nandini was more restless than when they had started at home. The Nandini he knew didn't wait for the right time to face her demons. She jumped right into it. It happened after Harshad, it happened every time she had to face her parents or the professors and students who disliked her. It gave him an idea.

"Nandini, the parking might take some time. Why don't you go to the reception and ask for Dr. Sharma?", he told. Dr. Sharma was a family friend and doctor.

She nodded and got down the car, half lost in her thoughts. Manik waited for a minute as she mentally prepared herself to take her step before going to park his car. He found her again at the reception but the scene in front of him was entirely different.

You are Nandini Murthy, right? The girl who went against her parents, tortured them, and threw them on the roads. You are all over the news. Where is your husband?

Manik heard the receptionist ranting to Nandini. Before she could go into another panic attack, he took a step beside her and entwined their fingers. It snapped Nandini out of her gaze as she stared at Manik. He ignored it in favor of glaring at the receptionist. "I have an appointment with Dr. Sharma for my wife, Nandini Manik Malhotra. Is he available?", he asked.

"I am sorry, Sir. He is waiting for you", she told.

"Thank you. It would be wonderful if you could confirm the authenticity of the news before hounding people with questions", he told. Manik threw another glare at her and dragged Nandini out of her vicinity. "Nandini, ignore them. Maybe, they might have created a mess with the media after filing a complaint against me. Mom has taken care of it and they would be behind the bars in a day or two."

"I am sorry."

The hospital was quiet enough for Nandini's voice to be audible. "Are you mad? Don't apologize on their behalf. If anything, I should do that. In fact, the whole universe should apologize for hurting you." Nandini looked surprised as if she didn't believe a word he said. Manik chose to meet the doctor instead of dwelling on her reaction. It would only mess up his head more.

When they reached the doctor's room, Manik knocked and went in after getting permission. "Hello, Uncle."

"Hi, Manik. Come in", said Dr. Sharma before his eyes landed on Nandini. "And you must be the perfect heir of Mr. Goverdhan Murthy."

"You know my grandfather?", asked Nandini.

Dr. Sharma nodded. "He was a nice person. It's unfortunate that he got your father as his son. Anyways, I am surprised you are out in public with all the news."

"We just got to know about it when your receptionist tried to be overenthusiastic", said Manik.

"I will have a talk with her. Why don't we start with the tests?", he said.

It took them another few hours to get done with the tests. Since the reports were supposed to come the next evening, Manik took her for lunch. He knew the owner, Cabir's friend, and they were regular at the restaurant. Thankfully, they got a private cubicle easily without any drama.

"Nandini, we need to get you clothes", he said, to start a conversation. She hasn't spoken a word since the hospital. "Is it okay if Mukti's there to shop with you? I need to meet the lawyer to talk about the transfer to the trust."