chapter twenty one: alive

Y/n wasn't dead.

Simple. The girl wasn't dead.

She burst awake, she was lying in a room. It looked like a room in The Last City, but it couldn't be. Right? The city was destroyed. She remembered everything that had happened, the way she had hurt her friends. Newt was given serum and she had stabbed herself. "How the hell am I alive.." the girl said to herself. She looked to her left and saw a piece of paper. She lifted it up and unfolded it.

Hello Y/n.
My name is Dr. Frances Mackie and I found you inside the walls of the Last City. I worked for wckd but realised what they were doing was wrong. I brought you here, saved your life and now I have left. I have given you the serum, it will give you a few months at most. Your brother Thomas, his blood is the cure. If you can find him and the Safe Haven, then you will be cured. They have a spare vial there, all of you friends have been brought to this place including Newt.

There is not very much I can do for you anymore, but I've done all that I can. Wckd is gone, they're all dead. I hope that you can be safe in your adventure to reunite with your friends, you have a few months as I said. So don't mess this up. I've given you some necessary supplies in a bag beside you, I wish you all the best.

Dr. FM

The girl stared at the letter in disbelief, her friends were okay. They'd made it to the Safe Haven, she smiled knowing that they had all made it out alive. But.. they think she's dead.. right? She had to make her way to a place that wicked couldn't even find using trackers and satellites herself? It seemed impossible. It was impossible. She told herself not to think that way. She had to find her friends, she had to. She took a few deep breaths and took in her surroundings, she saw a backpack on the floor. She opened it and looked inside, there were three bottles of water, some canned food and a knife. That's the best you could get these days. She stood up and swung the backpack around her back. She had to get started as soon as possible.

She stepped outside into the sandy landscape. She was stuck in the middle of nowhere, brilliant. She walked over some hills, through the ruins of the city. She saw the wckd symbol everywhere she walked. She saw guns and bullet shells. Practically everywhere around her was smoking, some still lit on fire. There was not very many survivors, she was just happy knowing that her friends were okay. She walked alone through the torn down buildings, she could hear several shouts in the distance. She presumed they were either from Cranks or just people. She found a pistol on the ground with about four bullets left. It was better than nothing, she cocked back the gun and continued walking.

She had found multiple other guns filled with ammo, she took them out and put them in one of the pouches of her bag. She walked straight for about 10 miles before reaching another city, well what was left of it. She was exhausted, she sat down and had a little bit of her water. She knew she had to save it, she only had so much. She took a seat on the side of a road, she saw multiple children running around. She wondered whether they had parents. When the Flare attacked Y/n, it affected the chip in her brain which removed her memories. So now, she could remember everything. Her life as a child, her time in wckd. Everything. She remembered how her parents died, how she was left to fend for herself alone in the Scorch. Which she was, once again.