chapter twenty seven: travelling

Y/n woke up at the crack of dawn, the sun had barely risen above the horizon. She sat and thought about the whole situation she was in, her friends were sitting mourning over her while she's making her way through the scorch. They all think that she's dead, how are they going to react when they see her? Will they be angry? Happy? Sad? Kate woke up about five minutes later, "Right, we better get moving. Have you eaten anything?" She asked. The girl shook her head, "I don't have very much, I'm trying to save it." Y/n told her. Kate nodded and stood up, "We'll walk as far as we can today.. we still have a very long road ahead of us." The older girl replied. "This area we're about to go into, is well known for Cranks. So be prepared." Kate continued.

Y/n pulled out her gun and put some spare ammo in her pocket, not that she'd necessarily need it but just in case. They walked for about 10 miles before reaching a completely torn apart city, the buildings were on their last legs and sand had filled up half of the doorways. They walked slowly and quietly, they had to keep their eyes and ears open. It was only around maybe 8am, so not many others were awake. They could see smoke coming from various places, the sun was beaming down on the two girls and they were boiling. Y/n guarded her eyes with her hand, it seemed as if the sun had gone two times bigger over the past few days. They had been walking for two days now, non stop. It was tiring and exhausting but Y/n knew she had to keep going.

She thought of when she would reunite with her friends, that's what kept her going. When she would finally see their faces again, that's when she would be complete again. She felt a sense of loneliness, walking around with this girl she met two days ago. Not with her friends. The temptation to give up, was there. Just wait a month and become a Crank again. But she knew she couldn't. She had to find her friends, then she can live happily with them. But that's the thing, she thought about death and she wasn't scared of it. She knew it was going to come no matter what, but she had accepted the fact that it could happen at any time.

She remembered what she told Newt in that letter. To keep living, to not give up. So she won't give up either. "Right, once we get out of this town we have probably around 150 left to go. We will have travelled 50 in two days, which means we should make it to the docks in around six days. The boat ride will last about a week then you'll be back with your friends and we'll get our cure." Kate told the girl, "That soon?" Y/n said in shock, the older girl nodded. "I know, seems like it would take longer. You see, the Safe Haven is in the middle of the ocean. Where no Cranks can reach them, even though the virus is airbourne that type of air cannot reach it because of how far out it is from other land." Kate informed the girl, "But less chit chat about that, tell me more about this maze."

"Oh, well.. it was made completely from stone. Ivy would stretch from the bottom of the walls but would never reach the top, the maze would change. Every night, the walls would move to create a pattern. The same pattern over a two week radius. Inside the maze, were these things called Grievers. They were huge things, they had slimy bodies and large mechanical legs. They were bloody horrible." 'That's my curse word.' Y/n thought. "They had blades inside of them and stingers, if you got stung you would receive some of your memories back. But not all of them. You see, when I had The Flare.. it effected the chip in my mind. Which meant I got all of my memories back, right before I 'died' I got them back."

"Sounds scary." Kate said, sounding slightly concerned. "How did you all survive for so long? Like how long were you in there, a year?" Y/n nodded. "Jeez.. I feel bad. Well, you're slightly lucky too. Seems like it would be much nicer in your Glade than it was out here." Lucky? The amount of pain they all went through and they were lucky? This woman had no idea what she was talking about. Seeing their friends die, was not lucky. One after the other, she remembered that night when the Grievers attacked. It was truly horrible. She remembered seeing poor Winston, being consumed by the Flare. None of them deserved that. After all they were only seventeen, maybe eighteen. And little Chuck only looked about fourteen, maybe even thirteen. Silence overcame the pair, and they continued walking.