The First Pratice

You go out to your car, and grab your swim bag. You drive your car closer to the front entrance of the school. You leave your backpack and lifeguard pouch in your car, then walk back into the school and find the pool area. You go into the locker room, noticing red mesh drawstring bags with a white McKinley logo on the front on hooks. There's silence when you walk in.

"Hey, I'm Bethany. Your Y/N, the new girl right?"

"Yeah, that's me." You reply calmy. Then there's a sudden energy, and an abundance of whispers. You go over to a bench to start getting changed. After a minute of whispers, Bethany talks again.

"What's it like? Being taken into The Unholy Trinity." Is that what they're all whispering about?

"I'll let you know when it happens." You reply. You finish getting changed and quickly walk out into the pool area, and spot who looks like your coach in their office. You decide it's better if you introduce yourself.

"Hi, I'm Y/N Davis. I'm a new student, I figured it would be better if I introduced myself."

"Ah yeah I've been waiting for you. I'm Coach Mitchell. I saw your name, and looked up your times online. I'm gonna be honest, they're pretty good. I mean a 24.67 second 50 free, as a freshman?"

"Thanks." You say with a smile.

"So, I think I figured out your main events and have an idea of what type of swimmer you are. Everyone else has already been swiming since August so I already gave them this speech. So we swim from 3-5 Monday through Friday. We have morning pratice Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-7. We expect you to be ready and on time for pratice, so not walking into the pool at 3 but in your suit waiting at the bleachers at 3. We meet every day on the bleachers. On the last week of swiming is when we start taper. Any questions?" She says.

"What about leg shaving, do you do a shavedown here?"

"It is recommended you do, but it's not maditory. Either way we do have a shavedown and a pasta dinner the day before pre-limbs. So I will give you this, it's our meet schedule and if you flip it over you will see my phone number and email in case you need to contact me. Now if you follow me I can show you to the storage room." She stands up, and you follow. She's a little shorter than you, but your used to it because your (A high school junior wearing a size 13 Nike's. Men's size 13 Nike's, jk I just couldn't help myself). You stand at 5'9, and are used to being taller than most people. You follow coach into a closet in the back, she flips the light switch and the closet is suddenly illuminated with bright fluorescent lighting. She grabs a drawstring mesh bag, similar to the ones in the locker room with equipment in it. She then walks over to where some swim parka's are hanging. "What size?"

"Medium, and if they're all gone I'll take a large." Coach grabs a large parka off the wall, and hands the bag and parka to you.

"You can put your bag on an empty hook, but you take your parka home. Bring them for every meet." You nod. You go back out into the pool area. "I'll let you go get a locker, unless you don't have a lock."

"No I brought one. Thanks coach." You say, and she smiles.

"Glad to have you on our team." You walk back into the locker room, which is now empty as all the swimmers are already sitting on the bleachers. You find an empty locker, and take out your extra towel and suits you brought. You then shove your parka and schedule into your bag, and pull out your cap, goggles, and water bottle. You shove the bag into your locker and close it. You walk back out, bag and water bottle in one hand, and cap and goggles in the other. You walk back out to the pool area, and leave your equipment bag and water bottle where everyone else has left theirs and walk over to the bleachers. Coach introduces you, then you sit down and she begins to explain the warm up. After talking about the warm up everyone gets off the bleachers and grabs their bags.

"What lane do you want me in coach?" You say, feeling slightly overwhelmed by the eight lanes in the pool.

"Why don't you go in lane 4." You nod, and grab your bag and water bottle then head over to lane four near the block. You put on your cap, then start the warm up.

1 swim practice later.

"See you coach." You say, back into your work clothes, which are soaking wet becuase you didn't change out of your suit.

"Hey Y/N, I think you should stay swiming in lane five. I'll try to do more difficult practices for you." She says smiling.

"Will do coach." You say smiling back. You then walk out of the pool, and walk to your car. You check your phone and see that Quinn texted you. You drive to the town pool, and grab your lifeguarding pouch. You put 6:30-9 on your timesheet, then start your shift.