40

"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."
― John Green,

~~~~~~

August 1st, 2021

it was finally the month

after months of planning, we scheduled it. the wedding. August 12th. In my opinion, it was the prettiest date. After all, it was my grandmothers birthday. 

~recap~

over the summer wil and i spent weeks touring in different beautiful spots around europe, we even got to visit my dads side of the family in berlin. by the end of summer, my bomber jacket was overloaded with patches and pins showing off places like vienna, prague, berlin, the netherlands, amsterdam, etc. 

brighton soon became home to me. the streets were muscle memory, and my memories of jack slowly started to fade, only to be replaced and filled by all the wonderful memories of wil. Occasionally, I would shoot up out of bed in the middle of the night with dreams of jack flooding my mind. but they've started to seize. jack was just a memory. a memory of a sad boy, and a sad girl. 

whenever i would mention the idea of marriage to jack he would explode. he'd claim that he wanted the right to be a "free man". however in that case shouldn't i have been able to deem the right of being a "free woman"? the answer of course was no. i remember how jack would stumble through the front door at the darkest hours of the night smelling like perfume, with his clothing drenched in sweat. of course, i knew he had went to strip clubs, but i could never pull myself to confront him, with fear that i would be struck, or worse. 

wilbur and i would always walk hand in hand down the streets, and even when he tugged at me to speed up, he would never grab my wrists. not even in bed. i still wonder how he knew. i was silent to him at first about jack, and somehow he still knew. 

In june, we picked up a 3 week baking course, in which we learned how to make bread, donuts, baklava, baumkuchen, and of course, we perfected our lemon tart recipe. after a while we stopped using my grandmas, and instead framed it and started our own from scratch. After months of testing out flavors and textures we finally perfected our very own flavor pallet. We used lavender flavoring mixed with our lemon creme, and garnished the top layer with edible roses and poppy seeds on the bottom layer. it was beautiful. it was ours.