Chapter 20 - Selfishly Selfless

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ SIM JAEYUN ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

I sat on the floor of our balcony, a bottle of soju opened in one hand and another sealed beside me.

I laughed at the thought of what has happened to me.

I got arrange to someone in exchange for me being able to follow my dreams. Then that girl was the reason why I debut, I fell madly in love with her, and I thought she was too. Then she broke my heart as she tried to get away from me. Now, she's here in our dorm hiding from her parents who are using my family for our wealth.

What a life.

I didn't tell my parents about what I found out about Aera's family.

No matter how rotten her family is, she is still a part of them. If they go down, she'd be dragged down with them. I don't think I can do that to her.

I laughed at how silly my thoughts are right now.

I'd let them use me if it meant that it would help you, bub.

I looked up at the sky, wondering what I did wrong in my past life for the universe to place me in this position.

Mesmerized by the sight, I had forgotten about everything around me.

Well, not until I heard her steps coming from the living room.

I'm so madly in love with her, it is so painful. Hearing her footsteps gives me butterflies yet it also breaks my heart in two.

"Jake..."

Her soft voice melts my facade and I forget about anything that was bothering me. All I could think about now was her.

How much I love her.

I looked up at her. She was leaning by the door frame of the balcony, her eyes traveled down to the bottle in my hand.

"Hey," I said before looking at where her gaze was at. "I thought I should relax a bit."

"By drinking?" She said with her face scrunched up.

I chuckled before answering her teasingly, "Don't pretend as if you don't drink."

"I'm not," she rolled her eyes. "I just never thought you did." I saw her bit her lip after she said that.

A gesture of hers that made my heart skip a beat.

I turned my gaze away from her. "Occasionally," I mumbled. "You know, during gatherings or celebration with family."

She kept silent so I continued, "But sometimes, alcohol can soothe a broken heart." I fought my tears back. I suddenly felt emotional so I joked it out. "Before you puke it out the next morning, but at least, right?"

I looked at her after I heard her laugh at my statement. It's been so long since I heard that laugh.

After our laughter died down, we came to a comfortable silence, I grabbed the bottle beside me and opened it, "Want one? You look like you also need a breather." I offered her.

She smiled at me and took the bottle from my hand as she slowly sat on the floor beside me she made a snarky remark, "Do I look that awful?"

I chuckled before looking directly at her and answering, "You always look beautiful to me."

Her face got serious, she looked me straight in the eyes with her mesmerizing hazel eyes that were starting to get coated with tears.

"Why are you so nice to me?" Her voice cracked as she asked me her question.