Chapter 24 - Step Forward

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ CHOI AERA ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

I feel cold, as though my body could be frozen. I felt a hand squeeze mine as I sighed.

"Today's the trial, how are you feeling?" Taehyun looked at me with anxious eyes.

I tried to smile before answering but I failed. "Like I might throw up?" He chuckled. "Where's Chae?"

He smiled at me and said, "She got an emergency call from her boss, you know how much she wants that promotion."

"I know, I just..." I sighed. I understand why she couldn't be here, I just feel so anxious. "I need you both here."

He slowly moved closer to me and placed my head on his shoulder, "Don't worry, okay? Everything is going to be fine."

I melted in his arms and tears almost pooled in my eyes, "I really do not want to see them again, Tyun."

I could feel his hand caressing my arm to comfort me, "This would be the last time, I promise." He said. "You don't even have to speak, darling. The witnesses and proofs would do that for you."

The trial started almost immediately as the judge arrived. My parents were sitting upfront just right at the other side of where we were seated.

I could see their glaring eyes in focus to their past employees as they made their statements.

"Yes, both of them usually go home drunk or annoyed. I witnessed them relieve their stress through hurting Miss Aera since she was 10 years old." One of our drivers spoke in the podium completely ignoring the wild dagger-like eyes staring at him.

"Every time they did that to her, she always goes to the Kangs." Another witness stated. As she was making her statement a loud irritating voice was heard.

"She was disobedient! A parent is supposed to discipline their child!" My mother cut her off before she could even continue giving her testimony.

She looked back at her previous employer and said, "Miss was never disobedient, she never even fought back."

As the ruling continued, the pieces of evidence and the witnesses only pointed towards the truth which my parents hated. Throughout the entire trial, I didn't look up not even once did I look at them. I really couldn't. I feel so traumatized and hurt that even looking at them seemed impossible.

I was glad that Taehyun was with me. That I still had someone to hold onto. Because I knew that if I was alone, I would have crumbled at the mere sound of their voices.

"Guilty!"

As the trial ended and the sentence was announced. I released a sigh of relief. I felt truly free. 

They had no hold on the company now, they had no hold on me now.

"This is unfair! We have the rights to her and the company! She's our daughter." I could hear the distant sound of my father's yell as they were being taken away to be detained. I held onto Taehyun's arm for my dear life, He looked at me before looking forward to where I assume my parents were before uttering, 

"She was never your daughter."

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ SIM JAEYUN ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

"Ms. Choi, how did the hearing go?"

"How long have your parents been abusive?"

"Is it true that you ran away from your parents because of what they did?"