31. Tea

Mo Guan Shan

"Uhmm, wait here, all right?" Mo Guan Shan didn't wait for He Tian to reply and left him outside, locked the door and dashed towards his room. Letting He Tian meet that person seemed like a terrible idea.

It would also give He Tian weird ideas. Not that he's worried about what he thought about him or anything. It's just that he'd rather not explain something he's not entirely sure himself. That person was such a mystery he didn't even know his name.

Or maybe he should just ask before asking him to hide under the bed until He Tian's gone.

He braced himself before opening his room but the guy wasn't there. The bed was made and no unnecessary clutters were on sight at least. He sprinted to check the bathroom and finally the tiny veranda but no sign of that person either. As if he never existed in the first place.

Maybe he got bored and left, just like a stray cat. Thank goodness.

Frankly he was imagining a cliché situation where he's trying to hide a character from a different character and they always make things harder to the point that his heart would beat too loud inside his ears. Then he'll collapse with relief after the visitor character was out of the scene. Too cheesy he could barf.

"Sorry, I cleaned up a little," Mo Guan Shan lied when he opened the door for He Tian.

"I don't mind," He Tian answered with a broad smile. He took his shoes off and stepped inside the small apartment, looking around and sniffing the air like a new dog in a new territory.

"Sit down. I mean, you have no choice but to stay put, anyway. Not enough room to run around," Mo Guan Shan said while filling a kettle with tap water. His mother was already asleep. They mutually agreed that she should stop waiting for him at night and just sleep ahead. And they got used to it in no time.

"Cozy," He Tian said and stiffled a yawn. He sat on a chair by the table, propped an elbow and rested his chin on his palm while staring at Mo Guan Shan's back. One of his fantasies was to hug the redhead from behind while he's busily minding the kitchen. Just like in the movies. "Hey, show me your room too."

"That's the real plan, isn't it?" Mo Guan Shan turned, raising an eyebrow. It's the longest day of his life and it's not ending soon by the looks of it. Just when he really wanted to sleep for several hours.

"Yep. Just a peek, then I'm off."

"Ahh, man. You are such a pain."

The redhead motioned for him to follow and opened his room. He Tian lit up like a kid in an amusement park when he entered the tiny room.

Mo Guan Shan quickly took a mental note of everything inside his room, instincts kicking in in full throttle. He's about to leave this bugger all alone while he's making tea so better make sure that nothing embarrassing was on sight. 

"Little Mo's bed~" he said and pushed right through Mo Guan Shan to dive on the bed. "Hey, this is not a dream, right?"

"Go crazy."

"I've been crazy. Always crazy," He Tian anwered as he burrowed under the sheets, inhaling deeply. It's Mo Guan Shan's scent all right. "Hey, can I stay over tonight? Hey, hey."

"Stop hey-ing me, you little brat. You're acting like an elementary school kid on purpose so you get what you want," he grumbled. "So selfish."

He Tian laughed.

"You got me."

The kettle started whistling so Mo Guan Shan ran out to prepare the tea. He Tian snuggled on the bed and closed his eyes, a smile plastered on his face. He's having the best night of his life so far.

"Tea is ready," Mo Guan Shan said when he entered the room with a kettle and two teacups. He heard patting noises and glanced at the window.

"It's raining," He Tian said while he's sitting up. Mo Guan Shan didn't answer as he carefully poured tea on each cup.

They drank hot tea inside a tiny room in the middle of a thunderstorm. It wasn't the best tea, but He Tian will never forget it for the rest of his life.

He's old and Mo Guan Shan's old, they sit together outside, in the garden of their own simple house, looking happy and contented. They drink tea, one that Mo Guan Shan made, and they would comment about the weather.

He's old and Mo Guan Shan's a cranky old man, but he'll still make dinner and He Tian will tend their garden. Maybe they'll have an old dog too, snuggled by their feet as they enjoy their afternoon tea.

They'll grow old together, because they chose to be.

■■■ ■■■ ■■■

Mo Guan Shan stirred but he didn't turn nor opened his eyes. He can feel He Tian's face on his nape. His breath was warm on his skin and he can hear his steady heartbeat through his bones, with the way his back was tightly pressed on his chest.

He's being hugged like he's trying to get away when as far as he could remember, he consented to them sleeping together on his small bed. 

Their fingers were intertwined as if he doubts the hug so he's taking extra precautions. Like it wasn't enough for him to stay.

And at times like this he questions He Tian's intentions.

Why him?

Why would he like someone like him?

He did nothing impressive in school. He wasn't the kind who stands out and he's definitely not smart.

If he's into guys, Jian Yi would've been a better choice, with his nice skin and big personality.

How did things turn out this way for the two of them?

◇◇◇◇

Note: I wrote these updates with Cat and Mouse on repeat. You know, by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. It's my favourite song but I only listen to it when I'm kinda desperate. I guess it worked. Haha.

It's a really good song, but terribly sad too. It's from the emo era, maybe that's why.