13. Mo Guan Shan

When he woke up, a maid told him to just go home for the day and forced him to take a box of goodies as an apology. She told him that he's not allowed to refuse so he took it and went home. 

He only walked a few meters when it suddenly rained so hard. Xue Chen's house is right around the corner but he didn't tell her he'd come by. She might have other plans and she'll get suspicious. Not that he's keeping his business with the old man a secret. The garden is like a different world where he can chill with a cool old guy and feel like he's detached from everything in his world. 

This place is something only he knows and he's not so okay with the idea of sharing it with anyone else. Even Xue Chen.

He stopped in his tracks when a silver car slowed down beside him. The window rolled down and He Tian stuck his head out.

"Hop in!"

Mo Guan Shan quickly opened the car door without noticing his wide relieved smile. He tried to brush off what happened at He Tian's condo as part of a drunken charade.

"Ahh, fucking cold out."

He Tian threw a shirt at him and nodded. He took off his wet shirt and wiped himself with it before realizing that he's about to wear He Tian's shirt. The other boy looked sideways when he stopped moving.

"Really getting naked next a faggot? In this cramped space? Trying to seduce me or you're just helplessly stupid?"

Mo Guan Shan felt himself burn in shame in front of He Tian's stare.

"Look, I'm sorry. I mean, about last time. I was surprised, I was gonna say fuck and --- Ugh! I really didn't mean it," he quickly said and covered his face with his hands, as if trying to rub away the blush.

He Tian laughed and returned his gaze on the road.

"I was messing with you. Wear the shirt if you're okay with gray."

"Beggars can't be choosers," Mo Guan Shan murmured as he was putting on the shirt. It smells expensive. "Why are you here, anyway?"

"I was visiting a relative. How about you?"

"Uhm, part-time job," he answered.

"How many part-time jobs do you have?"

"Just two."

"Hmm," was He Tian's response before everything went quiet between them. Mo Guan Shan leaned his head on the window.

He remembered tasting coffee on his lips when he woke up from his nap at the old man's garden. He licked his lips again but the rain already washed out the taste.

"Why did you transfer?" Mo Guan Shan asked after he'd gotten bored of counting all the passing red cars.

"So I could bring home any guy I want," He Tian answered drily. Mo Guan Shan could feel the sarcasm and it's making him feel all the more guilty.

"You don't have to talk like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you're all about your preference. Or something. I'm dumb, all right? I can't talk to inspire people, so I don't know what to tell you. But you're He Tian and there's plenty going on about you, not just that."

"Yeah. I see that. Not inspiring at all. But kudos to the extra care just so you don't offend me."

"You're still sarcastic."

"I am. Because you're refusing to accept that truth about me."

"I'm not."

"You are."

"Okay. So I am. But give me time. I just. . ." Mo Guan Shan trailed as he was dissociating with all the things going on in his head. He Tian's the coolest guy in school and boys look up to him. But he can't say that out loud.

He yawned.

Mo Guan Shan woke up with a jolt. He Tian's been shaking him by the shoulder and calling his name. So he fell asleep in the middle of their conversation.

"You live here, right?" He Tian asked. Mo Guan Shan looked out the window while wiping his drool. Sure enough, they're parked outside the apartment complex where he and his mom live.

He opened the door to get out but his right leg felt numb because of his poor sitting position.

"My foot's dead. Wait a minute," he frowned while gently stomping his foot.

He Tian raised an eyebrow. Probably his way of showing worry.

"I could carry you inside."

Mo Guan Shan's head snapped back at the grinning boy before giving him the finger.

"Wait up!" He Tian called as he was coming out of his car. Mo Guan Shan stopped to look back and He Tian's approaching fast, eyes locked on him. 

"What now---?"

He Tian's lip touched his; light as a feather and went like smoke evaporating to the atmosphere. It was just like a slight brush of skins but Mo Guan Shan froze in place, staring at the other boy's smile.

"That wet look should be illegal on you."