9. Mo Guan Shan

It's a good Saturday afternoon and he's been grinning to himself while driving his scooter. He's delivering a huge order and the house is in Xue Chen's neighborhood so he's hoping he'd see her even for just a bit.

The food was received by a beautiful black haired woman. Mo Guan Shan stared at her in awe but she just smiled at him sweetly, thanked him and closed the door.

He was about to leave when he saw a middle school girl snooping around the bushes. She looked strangely familiar that he took off his helmet and approached her.

"What's wrong? Lost something?"

The girl looked at her and nodded.

"My ferret. I was walking him when a dog tried to attack him so he escaped while dragging his leash."

"That's bad, indeed. It might snag somewhere and choke him," he commented and the girl cried. "All right, don't cry okay? I'll help you find him."

So they separated while checking lush bushes and peaking inside gates. Mo Guan Shan noticed something moving under a thick bush so he crouched down and peeked. A blue leash was moving steadily out of his reached so he got on all fours to follow it. He tried reaching for the leash every time it stops but the ferret sensed his presence and quickly ran ahead.

Mo Guan Shan crawled fast to catch up and almost dropped dead in surprise when an old man's face met his on the way out.

The old man laughed and backed away to let him through.

"Tha scared me."

"Well, you're the one sneaking inside my property," said the old man. Mo Guan Shan stood up and beyond him were fields of healthy vegetables. He looked at the old gardener.

"Whoa."

"You're not planning to steal my tomatoes, are you?" the old man said suspiciously.

"Oh no, Sir. I was looking for a kid's ferret. It snuck in here and I followed to catch it."

The old man looked at him for a long time. He smiled nervously. Then the old man reached inside his bucket and handed him the squirming ferret.

"Here ya go. Thought you was gonna steal my vegetable or sum'in."

Mo Guan Shan held the ferret close to his body.

"This is your garden, Sir?"

"Nah. It's a family garden," the old man said. He crouched down and picked a plump tomato. "Here, have a taste. It's way better than those ugly ones in grocery stores."

Mo Guan Shan took a bite and laughed when juices spurted on his face. It tastes sweet.

And oddly nostalgic.

"It's really sweet when it's freshly picked," Mo Guan Shan commented with a wide grin.

"Oh?"

"Uhmm, just. . . My girlfriend used to give me cucumbers and tomatoes every morning. Kinda taste the same," Mo Guan Shan said while munching. "And she lives around here too."

"That's odd. We're the only place with a vegetable garden in this area. Not bragging but, it's not easy for common folks to have a garden in this place."

Mo Guan Shan knew that. Properties in this side of town are expensive. Having a little space for a flower garden is considered a luxury for people like them.

"Hmm. You're not selling your produce, Sir?"

"We do sell them but my grandson delivers them personally. To ensure the quality you see," the old man said while looking like he's trying to remember something. "That kid! Bold of him to sell my vegetables without asking me!"

Mo Guan Shan just wants to leave that listen to an old man mumbling. He's late to work now.

"Uhmm. I'm sorry but I need to go. I'm actually still at work so I might get in trouble."

"Well, all right. You can sneak in here any time you want a tomato or two."

Mo Guan Shan felt like he's made a pretty weird friend.