22. Bud

Mo Guan Shan tried to move but something heavy and warm was pressing him hard on the bed. Light blond hair was all over his face that he immediately knew who it was.

"Fuck, get off me!"

"Redhead, too noisy," said Jian Yi's voice close to his ears. "You're making my head hurt."

He grunted, trying to turn over on the bed. He remembered crawling under He Tian's covers and sleeping on his bed next to him. His mind recalled what happened last night, from him and He Tian on the terrace, backwards to them walking back from the convenience store.

And then there's the convenience store incident. He quickly snapped his eyes open, not bothering to note that Zhan Zheng Xi's sleeping face was next to his and over him was Jian Yi, treating him like a hug pillow.

"Stop squirming or I'll barf on you."

"Why the hell are you sleeping on me?"

Jian Yi whined by groaning and hugged him tighter, burying his face on Mo Guan Shan's chest.

"Keep it down, I'm trying to go back to sleep here," that was He Tian's voice. Mo Guan Shan felt himself go hotter, especially on the face. "Yidiot, get off my Little Mo."

Jian Yi slid off him before he felt He Tian's hand on his stomach, pulling him closer. He didn't resist. Like the moon being pulled by Earth's gravity. When his back pressed tight on He Tian's body, the other boy buried his face on his hair, running his hand on his chest.

"You're harassing me."

"It's verification. You know, that you're not a robot."

"A sex robot?" Jian Yi supplied.

"Yeah, funny," Mo Guan Shan rolled his eyes and caught himself before it turned into something related to the ticklish sensation on his neck.

"I've never been this afraid to open my eyes in the morning," He Tian said, his breath caressing the redheaded boy's nape. Mo Guan Shan shivered and He Tian stopped. He noticed it. "Your body's attracted to mine."

"Holy shit what happened last night?! What is this development?!" Jian Yi's voice shattered all the tension and Mo Guan Shan gladly welcomed it. He Tian's been running his fingers on his goosebumped arm. "Did you finally confess?!"

"Yeah."

"He didn't. He just cried until he got what he wanted. Just like a spoiled brat in a candy store."

He Tian laughed and kissed his head. He didn't mind that, surprisingly. It was like being cozy in a heap of fur. So different from what he knew of love.

But he's still not sure what it was. To be honest, what lies ahead scared him to death and he's aware that it was what kept him from confirming his own feelings. The consequences of finally dating a guy and how he would deal with it when time comes that he'd be forced to.

"Zhan Xixi! They're going out too!" Jian Yi sat up, hand shaking the sleeping boy behind him. Zhan Zheng Xi raised an arm and wrapped it around the boy's waist without opening his eyes.

"No, we're not."

"We're not?"

"I'm still trying to get my head around it, all right? I told you to give me time."

"You're taking this quite smoothly, I'm sorta freaked out," Jian Yi commented, eyes wide.

"Information overload broke my brain. I can't even think."

"It's all right, Red. We'll hold back He Tian from harassing you until you make up your mind, okay?" Jian Yi said, patting his head. He made a show of pushing He Tian off him and removing his hand on his body. "Ugh! The jerk won't budge!"

"Xixi, take your wife home," He Tian said, almost rolling his eyes. Zhan Zheng Xi turned his back to them and snored louder. "Ah! Seriously."

Back then, Mo Guan Shan could never imagine being this close with friends. He didn't do sleepovers and had never been too close to other kids due to his family's circumstances.

Being that close, and by close he meant the four of them sharing one King size bed, made him feel a lot calmer and safer. It was unforgettable.

That afternoon, He Tian took him home to visit his grandfather. The drive was much better than the first time they were together inside that enclosed space. But it was the first time Mo Guan Shan realized that he liked watching He Tian's hands and the way his fingers moved. In retrospect, he did a lot of staring, believing that it was envy or amazement by the way fate blessed the other boy more than anybody else.

"You're making me nervous," He Tian said, smirking.

"You? Nervous go right past your doorstep."

"That's silly. Everybody feels nervous, especially on special occasions."

Mo Guan Shan expected to find the old man bedridden but they caught him walking leisurely on a treadmill being accompanied by a pretty, model type foreign woman. She greeted He Tian and regarded Mo Guan Shan without waiting to be introduced. She had a smile that's so easy to return.

"Boys! Pretty rare to see you two together," the old man said without stopping. "She's Olesya, my girlfriend."

The woman giggled while shaking her head. Mo Guan Shan looked at He Tian but the boy's face was unreadable. The old man laughed too.

"I'm kidding. She's a trainer and too bad, she's married to one of our employees."

"Hi, nice to meet you, He Tian," she offered a hand and He Tian took it with his usual smile.

"This is my friend, Mo Guan Shan," He Tian said. He took the woman's hand and was surprised by her strong grip.

"He's my friend too. I'm popular with the younger crowd," the old man chirped in. He told the woman to give them a moment and she politely excused herself.

He Tian faced his grandfather and started berating him for being too stubborn.

"I expected to find you working at the garden. But this is way worse. You're exhausting yourself, Old Man."

"I'm leading a fit lifestyle. You should learn from me boys," he laughed, waving a hand at He Tian as he turned his back to him. "Enough about you."

Mo Guan Shan gave the approaching old man a hesitant smile, unsure of what to do now that he's not holding any gardening tools.

"My boy! I am so glad to see you!" The old man gave him a big hug and ruffled his hair. Mo Guan Shan felt as if a huge burden was taken off his back that he returned the hug and caught himself tearing up.

He Tian chuckled when their eyes met.

"I'm glad you're fine too, sir."

"Nah. Why shouldn't I be fine? All I do is sit around all day."

"You're old, so better accept it and start learning how to knit," He Tian said as he sat on the sofa.

"Precisely why I need to do everything I want to do, Little Tian. And don't go around calling me old. Look at me. I look like I could be your brother."

Mo Guan Shan listened to the two exchange smartass replies. He Tian might have got his personality from his grandfather that's why they argue a lot and no one's backing down.

But deep inside, he's just so glad the Old Man was okay. He may be presumptuous but he would be heartbroken too, like how a family member would, if something happens to He Tian's grandfather.