10: He Tian

His grandfather accused him of selling vegetables and he seemed so convinced about the validity of his source that He Tian just sighed in frustration.

"You could've just asked me nicely and I'd give you all the money you want. What's this about? Need a new car?" His grandfather looked at him like he's a little kid while rubbing his palms together. "Just name the model and gramps will get it for you. Any colour you want, Little Tian."

He Tian almost rolled his eyes. His grandfather's slowly learning how to get on his nerves. The more free time he has, the worse his habit of teasing him has become.

"I don't need anything. It's the vegetables, all right? I gave it to someone."

"Oooh. A girl? You've been giving vegetables to a girl?"

"Yeah. Let's just put it like that."

"Talk about lame," the old man grimaced in mock disgust. "No wonder you got rejected, Little Kiddo. Such poor taste for someone related to me."

"What are you talking about?"

His grandfather laughed his ass out before strutting out of the living room. His mother who was clearly eavesdropping walked in and smiled at him as if telling him that there's no helping what his grandfather might believe in.

"He's only being silly. He just missed you, that's all. Nobody runs errands for him anymore, now that you've also decided to live on your own."

He sighed again. His mom is right. All of a sudden he decided to move out and transfer to a different school, the school they initially wanted him to go to. Back then, all his free time goes to helping his grandfather tend the garden. If he's being totally honest, he misses the smell of compost.

"He should hire some help. There's plenty of kids looking for part-time jobs around here."

His mom pursed her lips and nodded, as if making up her mind.

"Right. I'll tell him about it."

He Tian is experimenting with his life. Maybe he'll get over Mo Guan Shan if he's not exposed to him every day.

"Are you sure you're not being a coward? Seems to me that you're running away from your feelings, just 'cause he called you a---" Zhan Zheng Xi grimaced as he drank the tea He Tian served him. "How could you fail at making tea?"

He Tian glanced at the other guy while strumming his guitar lazily.

"It felt like he's gonna hate me if he knew. My pride's hurt enough as it is."

Zhan Zheng Xi lives in the same neighbourhood as him and Xue Chen so they knew each other ever since. They just didn't bother talking to each other, until Jian Yi became their common friend and pulled them together to the same group. And then Mo Guan Shan came along as a bonus.

Zhan Zheng Xi picked up his phone, dialed and waited for his call to get through. He Tian stood to smoke in the veranda.

"I told Jian Yi to come over and play."

"Sure," he answered and went out. He likes the night in the city with all the colourful lights and crowds of people moving like ants, hurrying to get back to their hills. He likes how his cigarette smoke drifts up and disappears along with all the smoke coming from down below.

When he went back inside, Jian Yi and Mo Guan Shan were already there, rummaging a convenience store plastic bag overflowing with snacks. On the table were cans of beer and green bottles of soju.

"Redhead, you get to cooking pronto," Jian Yi said as he hands him a plastic of pre-packed meat.

"Fat chance. You dragged me in here just to order me around?"

"He Tian's not eating properly so we gotta feed him. Look at him, so skinny! Oh, poor kid. Poor kid indeed," Jian Yi proceeded to his "old auntie" act and gave He Tian a pitying look, like he's a malnourished toddler from a third world country.

He Tian gave him a finger so Jian Yi turned to Mo Guan Shan and elbowed his rib with a conspiratory grin.

"Then he'll be so thankful he'll treat us to some A5 wagyu."

"Sell your own cow, shithead," He Tian said with a smirk. Mo Guan Shan playfully pushed Jian Yi aside and lifted his head to look at him. It was forced, like he's such a disgusting piece of work but still needed acknowledgement.

"Nice place you got here."

"Thanks. It's not mine though."

Zhan Zheng Xi was looking at them without saying anything. Jian Yi jumped up to cling to He Tian.

"I brought drinks! Let's have fun tonight, He Tian~"

"Suit yourselves," he said and sat next to Mo Guan Shan and snatched a bag of corn chips.

Mo Guan Shan kept complaining about how much of a slave-driver Jian Yi was but finally got serious when he started cooking the ingredients they brought. He Tian bugged the guy by hovering next to him while he's working with the pork for the barbecue.

"Go away. I can't concentrate when you buzz around here like a bug."

"But I love cooking shows."

"Then face your fucking TV!" Mo Guan Shan said, exasperated.

He Tian laughed. So this guy just needed warming up.

"Some fresh veggies would be nice," he said next to Mo Guan Shan's ear.

"Shut up, dickface!" the boy shouted and covered his reddening ear. He Tian laughed and strutted back to the living room.