Chapter 24

I'm on the twentieth level of an apartment block, and as the lift doors open and I step out into the corridor, there is yet another human I have to snarl at to stop them staring at my weapons on my belt.

When they see my fangs they hurry off and leave me alone.

Being a vampire had some benefits – like gaining instant respect.

However, after drinking blood from Anthony – I felt a lot calmer and a hell of a lot safer to be around. I didn't want to pounce at a human and drink them up dry.

As I turn to the left to head towards Luke's apartment – I pray he isn't home. It was very late at night however, which meant that he was probably asleep. He didn't hunt vampires every night – sometimes he hunted them during the day.

Stay on guard, Isobel, I'm just outside his balcony now. I will not enter unless you fail to protect yourself.

Maximus' voice echoes through my mind with a lulling masculine tone. It made me feel safe and protected – but it wasn't my safety I was worried about.

I stop outside Luke's apartment.

I raise my hand and knock three times, like I usually did every time I came to visit him or train with him.

I hear a bit of shuffling around on the other side of the door, and then quiet.

"Luke," I call out, "It's me! Izzy!"

Suddenly there are quick footsteps to the door, and I instantly feel my nostrils flare as I detect the hint of vampire hunter blood. It was intoxicating.

I quickly get a grip on my instincts.

No.

The door opens a couple of inches, enough for Luke to poke his head out with a huge grin on his face.

I can't help but smile back.

Big mistake.

"Izzy, I'm so glad you escaped! I can't let you in, you know it's... " It is at this time that he registers the fangs in my smile, and the weapons at my belt. The smile quickly disappears and before I can even open my mouth to explain...

He slams the door shut on my face.

Beyond angry, I snarl and hit the door with my fist, and I accidentally dent the wood, bits of it break off.

"Hey, let me explain! –" Then it hits me. I can't let you in, you know it's... It's Monday night. He couldn't let me in, because vampire hunters gathered every Monday night at his house for a meeting, and only fully fledged vampire hunters could attend the meeting.

This will be a feast for both of us, Maximus drawls happily in my head.

Did you know there would be a meeting? I ask suspiciously back.

I knew there was a meeting every Monday night – I didn't know where. Thanks for showing me where they meet, little hunter.

You bastard!

That is why Maximus said we would find Luke then kill every last one of his kind. I thought he was just trying to put on a show, act macho, be 'cool'. I should have known Maximus was far more cunning than that.

Now you have to listen to me very carefully, darling. You've seen that Luke wants nothing to do with you. Those vampire hunters are going to inspect what just happened, if he hasn't already told them. You have to run, you're not ready to fight all of them. I'll pick them off one by one that way.

I will not run.

If you don't you'll die.

Maybe it's better if I do just die; instead of living an existence of a hated monster.

For a moment I consider just walking in and letting them stake me right through the chest. A quick death that would be – and majorly hilarious to see Maximus' reaction from the other world once I was dead. So much for having me obey orders! Ha!

There is cold deadly silence from Maximus' end.

I listen carefully to see if he has entered the room – to do the killing himself. I prepare myself to run in to save Luke's ass – even if he didn't want to know me anymore. But there is no sounds of a fight.

I couldn't feel Maximus' presence anymore – he was gone. But where?

I hear talking amongst the vampire hunters, and then multiple steps towards the door.

Now was the time to leave.

I run silently down the corridor and open the fire exit, running down the stairs. I didn't fear that Maximus was going to fight the vampire hunters anymore. I had pissed him off.

He said if I did that – he wouldn't take me hunting again until I learned to obey orders.

Which meant Maximus was coming after me instead; to take me back to the palace.

Well, he wasn't the only one pissed off. I had a few tricks up my sleeve to prolong him catching me.  

Maximus had no idea what the meaning of 'rebellious' was.

He was about to find out.