Chapter 17

Isobel’s POV

I squish my eyes shut as my blood is sucked out of me, so quickly I begin to feel dizzy. I feel tears run down my face as yet more and more of my blood is stolen from me. Maximus has gently let go of my wrist behind my back and places a firm steady hand on my back, keeping me upright.

I couldn’t stand on my own any longer.

The sting in my neck from his fangs was going numb, I open my eyes and my vision starts to go fuzzy, blurry…

I close my eyes once more, but it doesn’t stop the dizzy feeling which intensifies with every second that passes by.

Being drained of blood was a horrible way to die, I felt so sick, so utterly sick.

I couldn’t believe Maximus was doing this to me against my will, I never thought he would actually go this far.

I would never forgive him.

I would never…. forgive…

Maximus’ POV

I lick the wound clean at her neck, and Isobel goes limp in my arms.

I felt so alive and full of her gorgeous, beautiful life-giving blood. However as I look down at her in my arms…

Her skin is pale like a ghost’s. There are dark circles under her eyes. She is so cold, and her heart has stopped beating.

I almost instantly regret turning her.

My blood was in her system, so her heart would start beating in a couple of minutes, but for the moment… she was gone to the world.

“You’re going to be fine, darling,” I whisper to her. She was a potential vampire hunter, which meant the turning process would transform her into a vampire that hunted vampire hunters. She would be the first ever female Hunter, to join me and Darrius in what we did best.

But would she give into her desire to drink blood? Or would she utterly refuse?

You had to be a strong soul to resist the call of blood, but Isobel was one of the most stubborn girls I had ever met.

I pick her up gently to my chest and I feel a faint but slow heart beat emitting from her chest.

“That’s my girl,” I lean down and kiss her forehead, her skin starts to warm again, but only slightly.

I had to get her back to the palace soon.

In hours she would wake up, and she would be thirsty.

Isobel’s POV

I gasp awake, my eyes snapping open to a dark ceiling and a four poster bed frame. I was on the most comfy bed, a familiar bed. There was a sickly sweet smell in the room, an unfamiliar smell…

My throat was parched and every single part of me ached. When I sat upright, I did so in a fast, swift movement.

I was in Maximus’ room, I was alone.

A low growl emits from my throat out of anger. Wait –

I just growled?

I take a moment to reflect. I was in a club, I was running from Maximus, he found me, he took me into an alley and –

The bastard turned me into a vampire!

Anger, stronger than ever, burns through my chest. I can hear the shower thundering water out in a heavy burst. He had the shower on full boar didn’t he? Unless, of course, that was just my enhanced hearing.

And my nose… I breathe deeply through it and there was that sweet smell again.

I look to the side of the bed, and on top of the dressing table is the source for that amazing aroma.

A wine glass of crimson red, fresh blood.

Without a second thought I grab the glass and gulp down the blood in one swallow. Instantly all my veins reignite with warmth, comfort and strength. There was no ache in my bones anymore.

I had no hesitation to drink because there was no way I was going to wither away and die from refusing to become a vampire. In fact, there was an added benefit to Maximus turning me.

I move out of the bed as gracefully as possible, not making a sound.

Yes, I didn’t want to be a vampire, but was I going to let that stop  me from getting revenge? Hell no.

I go towards his still broken coffee table, where I had broken off a make-shift stake. This time I break off another leg, on the opposite side, and I clutch the wood in my hand.

With a determined vampire stalk, I make my way to the bathroom, where the shower was still thundering out water, which hopefully muffled me breaking the leg on the coffee table.

Thanks, Maximus, I think as I slowly reach for the slightly ajar bathroom door, Now I have the strength for a fair fight, and hopefully, I’ll win this time.

Masculine laughter fills my head, inside my mind.

I don’t think you’ll win, Isobel, darling.

I freeze.

Instead of trying to barge in here to kill me, why don’t you join me instead? Hmmm?

Maximus was speaking to me in my mind. He could read my thoughts. He was inside my head!

What the hell? I yell through our mental link.

Just an added benefit through turning you, my little hunter.