Chapter 46

Maximus' POV

I hated being human because right now the situation called for me to be at my best. If I was a Hunter again I could kick these werewolves' asses, I could save Isobel and myself from their capture... I could return to the palace and show Isobel exactly what I thought of her feelings towards her ex-boyfriend. I honestly didn't know if she was joking on that point but she sounded pretty damn sincere when she was blabbering away about Luke and how she missed him.

Letting him go free when I had him cornered in that alleyway was the biggest mistake I'd ever made.

I should have killed him.

"You can say your goodbyes, boy," Bruce, the nasty smelling werewolf with brown messy dreadlocks circles us with a little smug grin on his stupid dog face, "Once this Luke Taylor arrives you'll be dragged back to the people who hate you the most."

"Have you ever heard of deodorant?" I ask, changing the subject and trying to keep my anger in check.

"The great thing about this is you're all just talk now," Bruce isn't affected by my insult as he points the dagger at me threateningly, "You're nothing but a mortal, brittle boned body with a soul that needed to pass on from this world at least two centuries ago."

"Kill me then, I'm sure Hell will smell better than your disgusting odour," I grin when I see Bruce getting more and more frustrated. I could tell he wanted to attack but to do that would be to disobey the alpha – which he wouldn't do.

"Would you two quit trying to insult each other?" Isobel asks, glaring at both of us, "I'd rather sit here and wait in silence than listen to the two of you fire each other up."

"Right now I'd prefer to talk to big, fat and hairy," I look towards her, watching her cheeks go red in frustration, "I'll deal with you later."

"If you're not careful," she says slowly, "You'll be dead and there will be no later. Bruce, don't fall for his heckling, you're better than that," even in her response, she sounds demeaning and sarcastic towards the werewolf.

"Go do something useful," The alpha enters the room from where he chased off Ruby, looking tense and fed up. He probably got interrupted by the young wolf that ran in not long ago from the outside, looking for him.

"I've already done my duties today," Bruce complains.

"I said go do something useful," Christian growls this with a whole lot more venom so that Bruce doesn't hesitate to comply, "Luke Taylor is about to arrive."

When Christian approaches, smelling much better than Bruce, I let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you for getting that smelly beast away from me," I thank the alpha, only to be met with a glare in return.

"Soon," Isobel mutters beside me, "Soon we'll be out of here."

I glance over at her hopeful expression and my hand twitches. I wanted to spank, kiss and fuck her all at the same time – until she never thought of that damn Luke ever again.

There is some shuffling at the den's entrance and I watch as Luke crawls through, white blonde hair the first dead give-away that it was him. Another wolf escorts him inside.

"Luke!" Isobel calls out, making my skin instantly crawl with jealousy.

He stands to his full height and when he sees her he instantly runs forward and puts a hand on her cheek, his thumb running along her cheekbone.

"Are you hurt?" He asks. If I could growl or snarl – it's exactly what I would be doing right now.

"Step back," Christian snaps at him, going forward to place a hand on his shoulder, shoving him away from her. Suddenly Christian was my favourite person in the whole wide world.