Chapter 34

Maximus doesn't seem too fazed about going slow with me, in fact, all he seems to do is take off my top and pants and kiss me senseless everywhere. It makes me really happy that he doesn't want to rush me into sex or anything. He obviously knew I hadn't done anything like that before and was just settling for kissing every inch of my body - otherwise I'm sure he'd be in my pants this very moment.

"I could do this... all day," I sigh, lying on my stomach while his lips trail down the small of my back to the top of my panties. Maximus just growls happily in response and when he goes to grab the top of my underwear, about to pull the elastic part down over my ass - I suddenly freak out and quickly roll over.

"Mmmm?" Maximus asks with a low rumble from his throat and with his face now just above my front instead... I decide maybe turning around wasn't a good idea. This almost made it worse. But he doesn't bury his face in-between my legs like he could, he just looks at me with concern in his grey eyes.

"I don't think I'm ready for that," I whisper. Maximus slowly smirks and without another word starts kissing my stomach instead. But I don't relax. Why didn't he say anything?

Now I was freaking out even more and I couldn't do this -

I try to slide out from under him, my anxiety suddenly reaching new heights but he quickly grabs my waist so he stops me completely from getting away. He moves up until his huge masculine body is dwarfing my own and his face is looking down over mine. Our noses touching.

"Why are you nervous?" He asks.

"I'm not nervous," I snap, lying blatantly. But I can't help it, I loved Maximus and his way - but sometimes it was all so overwhelmingly hot I started to overthink things. I wasn't ready for sex yet - not with someone as male as him. He was too much to handle right now. If I wasn't careful he'd get me so into him I might start agreeing to be his slave...

To make things worse, I felt like all my emotions were heightened so I was extra worried. And well... I had some morals, some sense.

Maximus turned me against my will.

He lied about killing my best friend.

He played a dirty game with me, pretending to abandon me and then waiting for me to cave into coming back to him for help.

I couldn't allow myself to just give him my body after everything he had done to me.

"You know I can read all your thoughts, darling," he growls disapprovingly.

Oh yeah, and he was inside my head and I never wanted him inside my head in the first place!

"I don't think you deserve anything more than kissing privileges at the moment," I growl back at him, meaning it.

"Fine, if you don't want me here, I'll go and catch up on my duties I've been neglecting while spending time here with you," he says this coldly as he rolls off me and gets to his feet, "But as my slave, I expect you to stay out of trouble."

"I'm a Hunter, like you," I snarl, getting to my knees on the bed. I grab a pillow and hold it to my stomach, blocking most of his view of my almost naked body, "I can do what I like in this palace."

"Darling, you are more than welcome to explore the halls and rooms and visit fr - Jennifer, or Caitlin," he was about to say friends, but that would have involved Anthony, "But don't piss me off."

"I like pissing you off," I say with a little happy smirk of my own.

"I like hearing your thoughts about how you might actually want to be my slave," Maximus chuckles and crosses his arms over his chest, "I know what you really want - deep down."

I can't help it. I blush.

"Uh... well... they're just thoughts, Maximus. People always think stupid things," I try to sound reasonable, "And quite honestly the only thoughts of mine that make sense are you're a jerk and a good kisser."

"Well, the only thoughts of mine that really make sense, Isobel - are all the things I want to do to you, to show you how you belong to me. Particularly all the things that show you how to submit to me - in every way," He says all this just as truthfully.

"Why haven't you done anything yet?" I ask, curious about it, "What things are you talking about?"

"It would take me a whole night and day to show you just who's in charge, darling, in the only way I know how," he comes forward to kiss me goodbye before he leaves to catch up on his duties to the palace.

As his lips come into meet mine I ask, "Which is doing what to me?"

Maximus smirks against my lips as he kisses me lightly before leaning into my ear and saying, "Fucking you senseless, darling."

My cheeks just flush as he pulls back and puts a quick finger under my chin, tilting my head up slightly so I have to look him in the eye.

"But I'll wait until you're ready," he growls low, a promise of something to come, before turning and walking out of his room.

I don't say goodbye because I hardly know how to respond.

And that is why he was too much to handle.

I couldn't give him all of me yet.

Because at the moment, I didn't know how I would get out of it. I would fall too deep into his power and I didn't want to lose that much self respect.

Not after everything he had done to me.

***Updates every Friday***