Chapter 29

Isobel's POV

I walk the streets of the city confident that no one can hurt me because I am now a strong vampire who can rip anyones head off in a moments notice. There was one head in particular that I really wanted to be ripping off - Maximus's.

He made my heart ache in a way that made me want to throw things around, scream and cause havoc. I didn't want to feel this way for an arrogant vampire who looked too damn good that he was a risk to the welfare of every female in this city.

He had kidnapped me against my will - treated me like a slave. Told me he would never let me leave.

But he just let me go out of the blue.

After our continuous arguments and stand offs I was finally getting to know him more. I know he had a good side but he also had a pretty trashy one too. He lied, manipulated and played games. That part of him made me want to run far far away.

I missed making dresses but strangely that isn't something I think about much anymore.

Maximus seemed to consume my thoughts.

I walk towards my old shop I use to work at, Dresses for Princesses. I turn the last corner, turning right, scanning the nearly empty streets. As I look towards the sky I see that it is nearly dawn.

Thankfully there will soon be some light! I stand in front of the bridal dress shop and look into the windows to see the dresses I had made still on display.

My heart starts beating a tad faster and I smell sweetness in the air.

I snap my gaze to the left and see Luke standing there, hands in his pockets. His eyes are sad as they take me in.

"Izzy..." he whispers, "What are you doing here?"

I look at Luke, I don't comprehend what he says. I can smell his blood and see his neck pulsing. He would taste devine...

Oh no. I couldn't think like this.

"W-what did you say?" I ask, gulping down the saliva filling my mouth at his smell. I should have had some blood at the vampire palace before venturing out into the night.

"I said, what are you doing here?" Luke asks the same question more forcefully now, narrowing his eyes at me, "Why did you agree to be turned?"

"I didn't," I whisper, as he takes a couple more cautious steps towards me.

"Don't lie."

"I'm not lying," I snap, my anger at Maximus now also being directed at Luke, "What the hell are you doing wondering the streets just before the sun comes up?"

Luke gives me a knowing look but I don't know what it is that I should be knowing.

"Do you forget my lessons so easily?" he asks, irritated, "Before dawn is a easy and efficient way to do my job."

Shit. I was so use to being human that I forgot the most deadly thing to a vampire was the sun. I had to find shelter. Damn Maximus, he must have known this!

"I need to go," I say.

"I have a job to do," Luke says, "I should be holding you down right now - waiting for the sun to rise a bit higher and finish the job." However he doesn't attack me. He just says the words.

Which is enough to scar our friendship - deeply.

"How could you say something like that? You would consider taking my life, yet it never occurred to me that I would take yours. Human or vampire, it was still the same answer for me," I try to hold back tears that are threatening to escape.

I didn't have time for this, I had to get inside or underground.

Luke shrugs, but I can hear his heart beating fast and he looks anxious.

"In the end, I have to do what I am born to do," he says through gritted teeth, "I was thinking about it and you are a vampire, Izzy. I can't change that, and I can't change that I am a vampire hunter. I think you better stay away from me now - if you want to stay safe."

"I can't believe the words coming out of your mouth," I mutter, feeling another heavy weight being thrown down on my chest. I couldn't feel any shitter, could I?

"I also talked to your parents, I told them what happened," Luke admits, "They don't want anything to do with a vampire."

I am speechless. I just glare at Luke like he is now my enemy.

"I hope this is the last time I see you," Luke says this dryly, without emotion, before simply turning and walking away.

Before I can even swear or yell or cry - I look over my shoulder and see light beams from the sun shining on the path and road. My skin starts to swelter and blister so I step into the shade.

I had to get back into the underground palace. I had considered going to my parents house for help but now Luke's words haunted me.

I only had one place left to retreat back to - the place I had just left moments ago.

I was returning to the Vampire Palace.

Luke's POV

She believed every word I said. It confirmed my suspicion - she didn't love me or know me well enough to know that of course I was not telling the truth. Of course I wanted to see her again, of course I would never kill her. But this way was safer anyway - I couldn't have her around me when I was always around other vampire hunters. I also lied about her parents not wanting her back. My friends knew she might end up back there so they were having that area patrolled.

Isobel might think I hated her. But I was protecting her.

She would just never know it.