Chapter 19

Maximus returns with a human girl, who looks a little dazed as she comes into the room. She looks young too. Maybe my age or a little younger. By the time he had come back I’ve stolen one of his black shirts he never wore and put that on instead of the dress. Now I was comfortable.

I’m sitting cross legged on the edge of his bed, my arms crossed over my chest.

“Why the heck are you so happy?” I ask Maximus, trying to distract myself from the fact I have taken a strong interest into the heart beat I can hear from the slave girl. My throat was almost parched once again.

I was so thirsty.

That wine glass of blood I had when I woke up was not enough to keep me sustained for long.

“Darrius is highly amusing,” Maximus says, leading the girl towards me.

“Why?” I ask, trying to ignore the girl. For some reason I felt a distinct difference between me and the girl. I could sense she was human. I could also sense that she was weaker, had weaker senses and slower response times.

No wonder vampires felt so superior to humans.

Didn’t give them a legit excuse to treat them like crap though!

“I checked up on Jennifer for you,” Maximus says, “She’s tied to the bed.”

My face pales and my arms drop to my sides, my hands resting on the bed behind me.

“Are you serious?” I ask, “What is Darrius going to do to her?”

Maximus chuckles and brushes the girl’s hair away from her neck, pushing her closer to me as his eyes sparkle with humour.

“He is going to teach her a lesson, one I need to teach you. We can join them if you like, the more the merrier!” I narrow my eyes at him.

“There is something seriously wrong with you, Maximus,” I say in an even tone.

He frowns as he now practically shoves the girl into me.

“I’m hurt that you said that so seriously,” Maximus sulks but I ignore him.

I grab the girl by the arms and my eyes focus on her neck. I can see her pulse pick up, she is whimpering already. She is scared. Poor thing!

 “I don’t want to hurt her,” I say, meaning it.

“It won’t hurt her,” Maximus reassures me, “She’s use to it by now.” The girl meets my gaze and shakes her head, disagreeing. She can’t even form words she is so frightened.

I look at Maximus, shocked.

“No, she isn’t use to it!” I push the girl away from me gently, as hard as it is to do. My new instincts were telling me to have my fill of blood. Now. “She is scared, I’m not drinking her blood.”

Maximus rolls his eyes and grabs the girl’s wrists, bringing her back up against his chest.

“Let me show you how it’s done, you being nervous makes her nervous. You need to show her everything is going to be okay,” I watch nervously, agitated for some reason as I see him lean into whisper into her ear.

“This won’t hurt, darling,” he moves down to press his lips against the girls neck, I watch one of his hands rub up and down her arm soothingly, his other hand reaches around to lie supportively on her stomach.

I see her close her eyes, lean her head back and relax.

“How did you do that?” I whisper, amazed as the girl completely relaxes so quickly. Maximus looks up briefly to smirk at me before kissing the girls neck once more.