Chapter 53

*Just a quick warning, there is some adult content in this chapter so only read if you are old enough and feel comfortable reading sexual content, thanks, there will be so much more next chapter by the way, just a quick second warning hahaha!*

Anthony and Carla almost instantly part ways from Maximus and I once we all arrive back at the palace. The vampires at the boom gate in the parking lot tell us we are now in a lockdown for at least 24 hours due to the King's commands. Maximus doesn't question this and in fact looks all too happy that there is a reason to stay inside the palace for a prolonged period of time.

I hug myself with my hands in my pockets, inside my jacket, one hand on the last stake I had. As we approached his bedroom and got closer and closer I was getting more and more nervous. While Maximus was simply humming to himself; which I took as extremely mocking and annoying.

A new type of feeling seemed to be flooding through me as I held the stake tightly in my hand in my jacket - Maximus none the wiser. He was so cocky he didn't bother to check if I had any other weapons on me and he probably thought it didn't matter anyway. I'm sure in his mind, no matter the situation, he could overpower me.

But that didn't mean he could outsmart me.

My palms get sweaty as we near his door and he abruptly overtakes me to open the door with his key.

"Home sweet home," he says slyly, looking over at me with a raised eyebrow he opens his door and stands back to let me in first.

"Being a gentleman for once, I see?" I mock him back with my own expression and dry response. I can tell by the slight flash in his grey eyes that my forever continued defiance grated on his nerves and he was getting sick of it.

Not that I cared.

I walk past him with as much sass as I can muster, keeping my chin up high and looking past him into the room as I walk in.

I only have to take a couple of steps into the bedroom before I realise what is connected to each bed post.

Rope; lots of rope.

I hear the door close behind me and my hand clasps tightly over my final remaining stake as I hear Maximus laugh behind me.

"What's the matter, darling -?" before he can finish the question I move faster than I have ever moved before in my life. Something ticks over inside me and my instincts were telling me to end this. I was in a vampire's layer - it was fight or be conquered and I just wanted to have one last go at standing up to him.

I pull the stake out of my jacket and twirl around, my palm opening around the wooden handle to let it fly free straight towards his chest. The stake is powered through the air with how fast I managed to spin around.

Maximus' eyes widen and so do mine as I see that I haven't made such a bad calculation with my throw.

It is almost on point.

Blood oozes from Maximus' shoulder, the stake has plunged through dangerously close to above his heart. Maximus leans forward, gasping and wheezing as air escapes his lung. He grabs the stake and pulls it out, throwing it across the room.

All sorts of emotions flow through me as I see the blood trickle down his skin and his abbs. The wound itself was large and ugly but healing quick. I felt a deep satisfaction at nearly having killed him and a huge amount of shock that I actually hurt him that badly. His breathing soon returns to normal as he heals quickly before he looks up at me.

"You deserved it..." I trail off as he catches my eye.

"You nearly staked me, you nearly killed me," his voice is dangerously low and I can tell I have firmly pissed him off. This wasn't going to end well for me.