Chapter 33

Maximus walks past a group of young vampires on the way back to his room, a group of young vampires I had recently been acquainted with. I spot Anthony and Carla and my cheeks blush a bright red.

This was so embarrassing.

"Hey, Isobel," Anthony is trying very hard not to laugh as I'm carried on by, however Maximus suddenly halts and glares at Anthony, "What?" Anthony asks, like a challenge.

"I'm going to need to borrow her," Maximus growls, grabbing Carla's arm without asking, her eyes widen and she looks to Anthony for help. But Maximus starts walking away already, dragging Carla along with us.

"Let me go!" Carla yells.

Anthony runs up to grab Carla's other arm, stopping Maximus once more.

"She's mine, Maximus," Anthony growls.

"Do you want me to expel her from the palace? Because I can, I can set her free and you'll never get her back. Back off, Anthony," Maximus snarls this, clearly he really doesn't like Anthony.

Anthony doesn't say a word but kisses Carla on the cheek and runs a hand through her hair as a farewell, as Maximus continues on his way.

"You'll be back with me soon, sweety," Anthony calls out after her and she just nods.

"Don't worry!" I yell out to Anthony, "She'll be fine with me, I promise."

I hear Maximus growl under his breath but not say anything as we round the corner and finally make it to his room.

Inside he lets go of Carla and slides me off his shoulder.

I quickly stand in between Maximus and Carla protectively, standing to my full height despite that not being very tall...

"We are letting her go back to Anthony," I say, "She clearly doesn't want to be here."

Maximus just walks forward and puts a condescending finger to my lips, shutting me up.

"Shh, there is nothing to complain about," he says, suddenly more calm now that we are all alone, "You need to drink from a human, this girl -"

"My name is Carla," she snaps, crossing her arms over her chest. Maximus pauses and raises his eyebrows at her stance of defiance.

"So many non-complacent humans," he mutters under his breath, walking to the edge of his bed. He sits down on it and both me and Carla look at him suspiciously.

"Come here, darl'," he says to Carla, who just looks to me for reassurance.

"He doesn't want to hurt you," I tell her truthfully, "I hope you don't mind if I can learn to drink blood from you. I know Anthony isn't here but -"

"That's correct," Maximus snaps, cutting me off, I just glare at him, "Anthony isn't here. Carla, come on," he waves her over and she approaches him nervously with narrowed eyes, "Turn around," he says this when she is right opposite him and I can hear the compulsion in his tone. She turns automatically and he makes her sit on his lap, holding an arm around her waist and resting his chin above her head, he looks at me with a slow smirk, "It's your turn to use compulsion."

"I already know how to," I say, annoyed he thinks it will be my first time.

"Well, okay then, come closer. Tell her to relax and lean in to drink her blood," Maximus orders this and I'm too thirsty to argue as I get closer and zone in on her neck.

"Um," I start, looking from her glossed over eyes to her neck, "This is an awkward position to lean in from my height to her sitting on your lap," I point out.