6. Open Your Eyes

Step Number Six: Open Your Eyes

---

Chase didn't know how many times he's been to the dance practice. It's been a few days after the train of interviews he'd been on and the day he'd been dreading, is finally here.

He wasn't happy about it.

He was alone in the studio with Zane and all he could focus on was how close he was with him. He could feel the heat radiating off of the dancer and it didn't make things easier.

They still a meter apart. 

"Alright, so, the next steps would be the lifts as we planned. We've done all the easy bits like you asked." Zane tapped on Chase's shoulder to bring him back to reality. "We can't keep on postponing it. Should we try some easy ones?"

Chase gulped, stepping away. "O-okay. No big lifts for now. How about we just stick to the easy ones? They'd all look great anyways..."

Zane made a disapproving noise. "I don't think Mark would like that. But for now, sure. What are you so afraid of?"

They meet eyes for a second before the singer clears his throat. "I don't like going upside down. Or having my head titled to the side. Or not being able to balance with my legs for a long time."

After a few seconds of silence, Zane replied. "Well I guess since you're a singer, you didn't think before signing up for this. Don't worry, I'll teach you some things."

Then, he walked up to Chase and pulled him right up against his front body, attaching themselves together.

"What are you doing?!"

Zane placed a firm grip on Chase's waist. "Don't move. I won't flip you up today. Just a simple lift. We're going to do the reach."

Sucking in a deep breath, ignoring how every touch sent shivers, Chase relaxed his body, leaning on Zane anyway. "Okay, I just reach with my hands and my legs?"

Zane took a deep breath before speaking. "Right bent and angled while the left is straight. As if you're reaching for something above."

Chase nodded, causing his hair to brush against Zane's lips. He turned his head to the side and that resulted Chase a fall back a bit more.

Chase stared right into the mirror while Zane avoided it. The singer couldn't summarize what the reaction was about and didn't dare to ask. He washes his hair almost everyday. 

Zane counted from three and lifted the star. Sucking in a deep breath, Chase relaxed his muscles and reached as he was told to. Before he knew it, his legs were in the air and then back on the ground, safe in seconds.

"There you go, it seems you're a natural."

They separated again to catch their breaths. While Chase knew that he'd be breathless no matter what, he didn't really expect Zane to be too. "It's not that bad," he remarked instead. "It's easier than I thought."

"That's because it is." Zane reached for his hips again. "How about we try the basket turn? First, bend your left and straighten your right. On the second turn, straight both legs to reach and on the third, bow in, legs tucked under, like a basket. Alright?"

Then, before he could even respond, Chase was lifted into the air. Squeaking in surprise, his clutched onto the arms that were wrapped around his waist and did as he was told, eyes shut in fear.

Then Zane slowly let him go to the ground again. Turning around, he stabbed a finger into his chest. It hurt Chase more than it'd hurt Zane. "What do you think you're doing?! I wasn't even ready!"

"But you're fine, aren't you? I didn't drop you or anything."

It took a few minutes before Chase agreed. Yes, Zane didn't drop him.

He didn't know why he was so afraid.

"Okay then, I trust you."

He turned around again so he was actually looking at Zane instead of through the mirror.

"Teach me the lifts."

Now Zane was the one who looked hesitant. He went to the side for music and kept stealing glances at the singer and staring while he went through his phone.

"Is there a problem?"

Zane jumped at Chases voice. It was closer than he'd imagined. He turned to find the man standing right next to him, looking over at his screen. He closed it before clicking the music to start. "No, nothing at all. So, do you want to have the lifts we just did on the choreography?"

Chase tapped his finger on his chin, thinking. "No. The basket one, okay but the reach, I don't think it would really fit in the song. It's too weird to be done with two men, don't you think?"

"I agree, so, let's try some more lifts and then set them up. We can't just have a bunch of lifts bundled together.

And that's how the two spent the rest of the day practicing.

JD came in some time to check on their progress but left straight away since he had another team to supervise.

By the time the practice finished for the day, Chase was more comfortable, forgetting the tough relationship the two of them had while Zane looked a little uncomfortable than usual. Chase didn't notice though, because he was exhilarated that he wasn't afraid of doing lifts in dances anymore.

The next day, they'd roughly done the sketch of the dance moves. Now, all they had to do was go through each and every one of them as they'd done on their previous one.

It was little more difficult for them since they'd never really put their work together before because, well, it was too intimate.

Now, they'd no choice. They had to get it done.

That's how Chase ended up having his heart almost ripped out of his heart in nerve when Zane held him in his arm, his face a few inches away. It was the 'smooch' Mark'd asked, as said, and they were really close. Chase could already feel the excitement his fans were going to give when they perform it together.

If that wasn't enough, Chase almost fell in one of the lifts, resulting the poor singer to freak out. But, Zane was there the whole way, calming the man, soothing it down, muttering that it's okay.

That Chase didn't need to worry.

Zane would always be there to catch him.

---

Make sure to click that star at the top! It's easy!