001. DID YOU HAVE A GOOD DREAM?

╔═══════════════╗

DID YOU HAVE A GOOD DREAM? ☂︎︎

╚═══════════════╝

CHARLOTTE ELAINE BEAUMONT was born sometime in 1948 and although she didn't have an exact month, date or time, she couldn't be any happier.

Her life story was not what someone would deem as a happy one. She grew up an orphan and without parents but the children's home in Lyon was well-maintained by a wonderful woman by the name of Alice Lamoree and her philanthropist husband, Gale. The pair loved all the orphaned children that roamed their historic home in the 5th arrondissement but to Charlotte they were so much more and one of the few people to know about her secret "trick".

It had been quite a shock for Mr and Mrs. Lamoree to find Charlotte's favorite stuffed tiger turn into her favorite storybook at the age of seven. But despite the oddness they kept her "trick" a secret and monitored it in an orderly fashion which Charlotte was eternally grateful for.

What more could she say? Charlotte Beaumont had a beautiful but oddly strange life. She had a best friend, Mr and Mrs. Lamoree's daughter, Marie. She could fold reality to her will, turn vegetables to chocolate and milk to lemonade. At the age of sixteen she would ride bikes by the riverside of Presqu'ile with Marie and they'd flirt with the boys who caught their eyes and laugh over croissants and scones. At the age of eighteen, she would move out of the children's house and go to college in the city where she'd study physics and philosophy, teaching herself in the way of her powers. She had a small apartment in the 2nd arrondissement and life was good.

Charlotte's life passed on and over the decades she enjoyed it as best as she could. She saw concerts and plays at the theater with Marie. She had a small number of lovers though none ever seemed to feel the way it should. She wouldn't let this bother her, instead dedicating her time to her studies and the magic of the city she resided. She made outstanding contributions to science, to research. She taught classes on quantum physics, theories and reality. Her students loved her and she loved them.

It was almost as though she were living out some dream.

It was beautiful but something always felt missing.

Lost.

Now, in the year 2002, Charlotte Beaumont was the ripe age of fifty four as she walked through the Parc de la Tete d'Or for one of the numerous times throughout her existence. The wind rustled the trees and she could hear the muffled voices of conversation and happy laughter. All this created a beautiful daydream that was disrupted by a sharp and present jolt as a boy passed by in the park.

She didn't know why he stuck out to her in such a way but his presence was captivating in a headache inducing way. His cloudy eyes were trained on hers for a brief moment before turning away almost indistinguishable. Neat, combed back hair and knee high socks. A schoolboy.

The headache ensued and Charlotte felt her fingers reach her temple. The little grains of reality appeared in front of her, threatening to bend to her will if she loosened. Charlotte closed her eyes, focusing on making the possibilities disappear. She turned around and gasped as she came face to face with Marie, her thinning brown hair and brown eyes cold and serious compared to the warm smile on her face.

"What are you doing here? I thought you had work." she mumbled, headache worsening slowly, particles disappearing.

"Change of plans." was the only response given as Marie dragged her away and out of the park, the boy disappearing from view.