012. (MOSTLY) EMPTY POCKETS

╔═══════════════╗

(MOSTLY) EMPTY POCKETS ☂︎︎

╚═══════════════╝

TW: drug use

"I'M SORRY. Am I the only one that's skeptical here?"

Allison's need for a logical explanation was frustrating. Even Charlotte, theorist and physicist, had come to the conclusion that whatever Five Hargreeves wound himself into was the small percentage of possibility she had chosen to ignore when conducting any form of theoretical research.

"I mean, how exactly do you know all of this about what's his name?"

"Harold Jenkins," he pressed. "You know those lunatics in masks who attacked the house?"

Klaus scratched the back of his neck. "Oh, yeah, I think I remember those guys."

"Yeah, the ones that attacked us while you were getting drunk." Diego retorted.

Charlotte let out a chuckle, leaning her head against the arm of the couch. "Actually, that happened after. So, technically, he just ignored you."

He furrowed his eyebrows at her as though sending a silent "why'd you sell me out?". She smiled drowsily, annoyed that the ripples were slowly fading and that his voice cut through them like a thin blade. Five turned back to his siblings. "Yeah, them. They were sent by the Temps Commission to stop me from coming back and preventing the end of life on Earth."

"As one should." Charlotte muttered sarcastically.

"The Temps what?" Allison asked.

"My former employer. They monitor all of time and space to make sure that whatever is supposed to happen... happens. They believe the apocalypse is coming in three days. So I went to Commission headquarters and intercepted a message that was meant for said lunatics. 'Protect Harold Jenkins'. So he must be responsible for the apocalypse."

He spoke in a calm demeanor that was unlike him. His eyes were serious but less angry, less frustrated, much more positive. It brought a smile to her face to see him... less stressed. He was reaching out to his siblings for once and she was hoping they'd take the bait.

That was unlikely.

"What do you mean, protect time and space?"

"Where is this Hazel, Five?"

"My skin is on fire."

"Do you know how insane this sounds?"

Now he was angry and rightfully so although his siblings' questions were also expected. "You know what else is insane? I look like a thirteen-year-old boy, Klaus talks to the dead, Charlotte turned a hunting rifle into a nerf gun and Luther thinks he's fooling everybody with that overcoat."

Luther frowned.

"Everything about us is insane. It's always been."

"He's got a point there." Klaus replied.

"Amen." Charlotte preached.

"We didn't choose this life, we're just living it."

Unlike when she was sober, Charlotte was unable to hold back the sarcastic belch that left the back of her throat. She laughed. "Sorry. I think you just killed me."

He glared at her, rolling his eyes. "For the next three days, anyway."

"But the last time we tried to stop it, we all died." Allison argued. "Why is this time any different? Why shouldn't I go home to my daughter?"