022. THE LANGUAGE OF STUBBORN LOVE-SICK FOOLS

╔═══════════════╗

THE LANGUAGE OF STUBBORN LOVE-SICK FOOLS ☂︎︎

╚═══════════════╝

IT WAS EASY TO HATE SHOPPING but regardless, Charlotte walked out with a dress and dwindling hopes on her situation.

With a knock on Elliot's door and the sun beginning to set out the window, she grinned, a small bag in her left hand. Five Hargreeves opened the door with furrowed brows. "What took you so long?"

"Yeesh." she said, pushing past him and into the quiet of the apartment. "I don't like shopping."

"Nor do I." Lila agreed. "So little options for the large amounts of exploitation."

Charlotte laughed airily at that, crashing down on the sofa as Lila patched up Diego's slashed skin with both an air of precision and a lack of care. Diego grunted. "Can we get back to the conversation? What happened to the guys who were after Vanya?"

"The Swedes?" he asked, pacing slowly. Elliot entered, cups being distributed momentarily. Tea, she realized. She'd never been much of a tea person.

"Yeah, I mean, how do you know they won't go after her again?"

"We don't."

"How reassuring." she mumbled, coughing as the tea burned down her throat with a slice of sour sting. "Sorry." she said, as eyes fell on her. "Le thé est une boisson d'illusion." Tea is a drink of illusion, as her father would say. "Everyone pretends to love it." he'd tell her as he sipped on his morning coffee and her mother would roll her eyes and continue on her chamomile.

"Any idea who sent them?" Lila continued.

"Oh, I have my suspicions." he stated with a sarcastic smile. "But right now, our priority is finding Dad and getting answers, 'cause everything else depends on it."

Diego shrugs. "For the record, I found him already."

"And then let him go before we could have a meaningful conversation."

Charlotte held back a laugh as Diego stared blankly. "He stabbed me."

"I'm surprised he waited this long, Diego. We've all had the urge." he countered.

Everyone laughed and Lila attempted for a high-five which, as expected, did not work. He merely stared at it. "Be friendly." Charlotte nudged. "Don't leave her hanging."

"I don't high five people I don't like." he scowled.

Diego smirked. "So Charlotte, how does it feel to get a high-five from-"

"Anyways..." he interrupted before any embarrassment could ensue. "Good thing I know where Dad's gonna be tonight." He handed his brother the white slip invitation. Diego turned it once over. "Where'd you get this?"

"Found it at his office while he was busy stabbing you."

Diego let out a sarcastic chuckle. "Hoyt Hillenkoetter and the Consulate General of Mexico in Dallas cordially invite you to a gala."

Her head turned as Elliot paused. "Whoa, wait. Hoyt Hillenkoetter?" Everyone turned. "Are you serious?"

"You know him?" Five pressed.

"We should go." Lila muttered. "Says there's gonna be a seafood tower."

She didn't miss the way Diego quite literally didn't kill her or even push her off and now she was proud that she had something to tease him over.