Daddy's Upset

Rule One: Allow no harm to come to your Protectee.

"Why do you hate me?"

My father's voice boomed throughout my dorm room from my phone.  It was so loud that I swore I saw soundwaves being emitted and the posters on my walls quiver.

Luckily, he wasn't here to smack me with the nearest object.  His favorites included newspapers, his shoe, and the classic right hand.  Gosh, there were too many times when I wanted to seize his arm and show him I couldn't be pushed around.  

I sighed in the frigid seat at my desk, staring at the giant poster above it, and wondered when I'd have the chance to be someone great like the sniper from my favorite movie.  He was more badass than my entire school combined.  No one questioned his capabilities.  They admired him.

"I don't hate you," I said calmly. 

"Then why are you becoming the biggest failure in this family?  You allowed someone to beat our family record again!"

Though I wasn't there, I could picture my father failing his arms in the air and screaming at the phone on the kitchen counter.  The vein above his left eyebrow was probably bulging.  My mom was likely shaking her head while looking at her Facebook feed.   

I rolled my eyes.  The Prachaya family was BU's longest line of generational students.  I was attending.  My older cousin had attended.  My father attended and so on and so forth.  Only Prachaya's were allowed to create new records for the school. 

"Dad, I didn't allow anyone to do anything," I said.

"And why am I hearing from Porsché that you fought Kinn the other day?"

Porsché was my younger brother.

That fucking snitch.

"We didn't fight.  We...grappled," I defended.

Technically, we did fight.  At the very least, I had attempted to punch him.  Hadn't he dodged, his pretty, smooth skin would've been cracked by now.  I wished I hadn't missed.  Imagine a potential scar on his face reminding him every day that I got to him.  I smiled just thinking about it.

"I don't care what semantics you use.  You're tarnishing the Prachaya name with your antics!"

"Last year, you said I was impressing you.  I haven't done anything differently this year.  I'm still breaking records," I tried to reason.

This conversation wouldn't even be happening if I hadn't called to tell him my achievement from yesterday.  I was proud to have shot 40 rounds accurately with a semi-automatic shotgun in a minute.  Instead of a "Congratulations," I got a lecture. 

"Which I'm certain Kinn will defeat next year, right?"

With a clenched jaw, I fell silent.  My cell phone vibrated in my tightening hand and shook the image of my father lit on screen.  After working my ass off to make something of myself, I was overlooked because of Kinn.

"Porsche, you need to work harder.  Perhaps, your cell phone is distracting you," my father said.

He wouldn't dare to take my phone away.  How else would he call me every time I disappointed him?

"I'm doing my best," I said.

"I don't want your best!  I want the best!"

I didn't respond to that.  The red button underneath his chin was tempting to press, but if I hung up on him, I was afraid he'd actually come here to kick my ass. 

"This Kinn character is too much of a threat...Do you think you could take him?  Maybe, "accidentally" get him injured," he suggested.

"Enough!  I'm not hurting anyone," I hissed.  "Even if I wanted to, I can't now."