The Skin on your Bones

Porsche's POV:

As the relationship between Kinn and me changed, so did our routine. It was funny how changes created such a domino effect. And though it were only kisses that flipped our dynamic on its head, everything else around us slowly shifted as well. At first, it was the little things like my heart fluttering every time he entered the room or accidentally smiling when he said something that I liked. But just like dust, the more they pile together, the larger the mountain becomes.

Rather than meeting up with Phupha before classes, I was anxiously looking for Kinn. I switched to sleeping on my preferred side of the bed so that Kinn could enjoy using the charger on the nightstand while he stayed up all night on his phone. My pants were now uncomfortably hiked up with a tight belt around my waist to accentuate my ass, which Kinn notably appreciated. And I actually started tidying up my room after noticing his displeasure of stepping on my books and clothes.

Somehow, through all the sacrifices, I didn't mind because the biggest change was my happiness. That was something I never thought I'd find. In fact, happiness wasn't a goal of mine due to my belief that it was unachievable. Happiness was a mythological creature that people swore was true but was never able to prove existed. Funnily enough, my father had told me that happiness was overrated. Sadly enough, I believed him.

But not anymore. It was nice to be wanted. I didn't realize how much I'd craved being wanted until I had Kinn on his hands and knees begging for my attention. Every time I tested his sincerity, played the game of push and pull, he passed with flying, sexy colors. My favorite part was rewarding him for his success.

Fuck—the intimacy was also unimaginably fulfilling. Kinn managed to pull such strong emotions out of me that I didn't even know I had. He was a magician with magical fingers casting a passionate spell on me that I didn't want to snap out of. I didn't care about the consequences. I didn't care what others thought of it. I didn't care if my dad found out. I just cared about Kinn.

I cared about him a bit too much, actually. Before Kinn, I only had myself to worry about. My family never had any problems, and Phupha was quite a self-sufficient person. But Kinn...I didn't want anything to happen to him. And I feared more than anything that at any moment he could be taken away from me. Be it those bastards with knives or new enemies with guns, I sensed that something was bound to happen at some point.

It was currently 30 seconds until Kinn's class before lunch ended. I was patiently waiting outside his classroom door, leaning against the wall as people stared. Techno was bound to come out from the corner and pester me with invasive questions about our relationship like we were on some fucking gossip show about celebrities. Surely, people were whispering their theories of what exactly was happening in my dorm room. I'd die if word got out about where my mouth had been....

Whoosh! The door swung open, flooding a sea of eager students out of the classroom and on with their daily lives. I excitedly waited as each face appeared, slight disappointment simmering in the pit of my stomach as every face turned out to be, well, not Kinn.

Just as I was about to lose hope, that charming and devious man popped through, a great smile on his face. He was already expecting me since I'd made a habit of waiting for him. As per usual, the light pounding in my chest quickened when our eyes met.

Something was off this time. Kinn's perfect, black eyes weren't only colored in those beautifully, ringed irises. It looked like someone powered a fuck ton of black and dark purple eyeshadow on his eye.

I frowned and reached out for further inspection. Kinn instantly caught my hand and kissed my wrist before I had a chance to touch the bruise on his fucking face. I flicked my hand back.