Haunted Traps

Porsche's Point of View:

Looming ominously in the aphotic sky, the full moon settled over the cracked school building decorated with spiderwebs and gloom. A few misty clouds covered the night's lantern, dimming any chance of useful vision. Even the windows only offered black voids. Everything from its physique to its nature was a warning sign to turn back before it was too late. But bravery didn't require sensibility.

In a row, Tine, Kinn, Sun, Type, and myself were facing the oldest building on campus. Crowds of students were cheering around us. Their encouragement concealed their sinister motives. I ground my feet into the grass, stabilizing my jittery legs. My throat was as dry as a desert, needing to be quenched. Peering at the doorknob ahead, I gulped.

Forget tying with Kinn or encountering my father's rage. This was the last place I wanted to be. Though I'd participated every year, it didn't make the event any less unnerving. I always encountered weird shit that kept me up at night for months afterwards.

"Hello, everyone! Tonight, the real tea of who is brave and who is cowardly on our campus will be revealed!" Techno announced. His cameraman panned the video to us, capturing our excitement involving tonight's festivities.

I stood at the end with Tine next to me. His fidgeting amplified my own nerves.

Rose-pink microphone in hand, Techno centered himself between the row and spoke to the camera. "For all you confused freshmen, I'll briefly explain why our MA champions from yesterday are here. Every year, the MA champions spend an hour at the most haunted building on campus. If anyone leaves before the hour is up, trust me, you don't want to know what happens."

I remembered when Kaonaw ran out of the building last year. The student body wasn't too kind to him after that. He eventually had to transfer.

Techno twirled his microphone and turned back to us. Smiling, he skipped over to Kinn.

There Kinn was, arms relaxed by his sides and gaze surveying the building as if it were a gas station he frequented. I locked my jaw in a fit of pique at the sight of his nonchalance.

"As a newcomer to BU, are you worried about tonight's turn out?" Techno asked, holding the speaker to Kinn's cherry-red lips.

Kinn grinned smugly at the camera and shrugged. "Worry isn't in my vocabulary," he said, confidence flickered in his tone.

That was right. Kinn never worried about anything. He didn't worry about others or himself because life always went his way. He probably spent his whole life in his palace of servants that told him how fucking perfect he was. Flawed was another word Kinn's vocabulary list didn't share.

Fucking egotistical bastard.

Rolling my eyes, I crossed my arms over my chest and curtly spat the taste of disdain next to my foot.

Disinterested, Techno shifted his gaze down the line and focused on me. Beckoning his cameraman, he scurried to the end of victims.

"You've been to this building three times already. What're your thoughts about tonight?" he asked me.

At the anxiety of a camera in my face, my legs began to tremble.

Fuck this. Why does BU have this stupid event? I want to go home. I fucking hate ghosts.

"I can't wait to see a few old friends." I smiled, holding back the urge to run away.

"Old friends?" Techno frowned and clasped a surprised hand to his chest. "Does that mean you've seen the spirits?"