The Injured Trio

Porsche's Point of View:

How I woke up on my bed the next morning remained a mystery. After learning that Kinn was as straight as a circle, I had insisted we slept separately. Kinn bemoaned that his special back couldn't bear the harshness of my floor. Not wanting to hear his bitching, I'd settled next to my bed with a pillow and small blanket. All of that exercise and arguing from the day must've worn me out because I went to sleep, contrary to my initial expectations of floor snoozing. So, when the morning greeted me to Kinn's warm arms wrapped around me, my sleeping sacrifices felt pointless. Kinn's morning surprise was a slap to his chest, courtesy of my offended hand.

Inviting Kinn to room with me while he figured out the men chasing him was one of my worst and best decisions. On one hand, I felt accomplished knowing that I was doing the right thing as his bodyguard to offer him such protection. However, in doing so, I gave up any privacy I'd been blessed with. Things I'd been able to do without a second thought now came with compromise. This experience made me glad that my brother and I never shared a room.

That morning, I'd tried three different ways to style my pants. Uniform slacks never did anyone justice. Fuck, my ass really did look awful in them. I'd tried hiking them up my waist but ended up with the most uncomfortable camel toe. Websites suggested making my waist smaller to accentuate my ass, so I buckled my belt a few loops tighter than usual. I couldn't tell if it had any effect, but it was worth a try.

Kinn and I went our separate ways once school began but promised to meet each other at the gym near the evening. I was actually looking forward to our workout together. Kinn encouraged me to push myself in a way that wasn't overwhelming. It was the complete opposite approach from my father, who'd berate me into improvement. Kinn didn't do that. He'd compliment me when I'd improved. Yes, he'd tease me when I fucked up, but it wasn't malicious.

I'd be lying if I were to claim that I hadn't been anxiously looking at the clock in every class and feeling every miserable second drag on. The day felt slower than most. I figured it was the class material being duller than a used pencil. Oddly enough, I hadn't seen Kinn on campus at all. I'd usually bump into him and bicker for a bit. I couldn't find him in any of his common hangouts, like he'd vanished in thin air.

I'd almost expected Kinn not to show for our workout. Standing outside the gym building, I brightly smiled upon seeing Kinn approaching me, though I was confused as to where his bag went.

Hair in disarray, Kinn arrived with his signature smile and perfect posture. Behind his puffed out chest, I saw anguish in his eyes.

"Where have you been?" I asked, not bothering to greet him hello. I was more focused on Kinn's absence than my politeness. Bracing the backpack strap on my shoulder, I eyed Kinn taking a small gulp and rubbing the back of his head.

"I've been here," Kinn said, eyes shifting off to the side. My grip tensed around the scratchy material of my bag.

"I haven't seen you all day," I said pointedly. A few people passed by, glancing at us on their way into the building.

"So?" Kinn shrugged his shoulders, refocusing his attention on me.

I just about whirled my backpack around and whacked him down the stairs we stood next to. His indifference to everything was infuriating. For once, I wanted him to prove he had a fucking beating heart in that muscled chest of his and drop the bullshit, "I'm too cool to care," act. More than that, I wanted him to be fucking honest with me. Every time we had a conversation, I knew there was more that was left unsaid than spoken.

I could've asked more questions, but what was the point? He'd just lie to me again, and if I heard one more lie, I feared I was actually going to send him tumbling down the stairs.